Puzzling..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's a puzzle inlay kit from Lazerlinez on a Black Titanium Jr. Gentleman. Fun and fairly easy to put together. I'm on a puzzle inlay kick..:rolleyes:.
If you haven't done one of Constant's kits you should definitely try one..(and the latter was an unsolicited comment!). Anyway, Hope you like the pen. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Puzzle Pen.jpg
    Puzzle Pen.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 203
  • Puzzle Pen_1.jpg
    Puzzle Pen_1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 130
  • Puzzle Pen_2.jpg
    Puzzle Pen_2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Doc, you turned it this morning only ,right??? You had to put that together beforehand I would think to let dry. How did the pieces fit and how was the coloring throughout.??? What glue did you use to glue the pieces and what glue did you use to secure to the tube?? I would like to see one of those done with acrylic pieces of different colors. I think that would look cool. Again nice work and thanks for showing.

PenMan1

Doc:
I can't decide if you have advanced photo skills, TERIFFIC penmaking skills or BOTH!

Simply stunning, AS USUAL. Keep 'em coming!

wizard

Doc, you turned it this morning only ,right??? You had to put that together beforehand I would think to let dry. How did the pieces fit and how was the coloring throughout.??? What glue did you use to glue the pieces and what glue did you use to secure to the tube?? I would like to see one of those done with acrylic pieces of different colors. I think that would look cool. Again nice work and thanks for showing.

John,
Thank you for the kind words. You are correct. I had had assembled it and glued the tubes in place yesterday morning and let them dry. I just turned it this morning.

The pieces snapped together easily. The color of each of the pieces was vivid. I didn't glue the pieces together initially. I used Constant's directions which involved wrapping the tube with painters tape after each row of pieces was in place.
After the assembly is complete, the roughened tube slides out. I used thick CA glue to glue the tubes in place and let them dry yesterday. I squared the ends with a disc sander and jig, removed the blue painters tape and then sanded it on the lathe.

Immediately prior to sanding and while on the lathe I liberally applied thin CA glue to help the pieces stick together as well as fill in any of the gaps between the puzzle pieces. I then turned the blank down to the desired shape. Then sanded down to 600 grit slowly so as not to darken the wood due to excess heat. I applied 8 coats of medium CA for a finish and after drying followed with wet Micromesh from 1500 to 12000 grit and HUT Plastic Polish. Regards, Doc

ctubbs

Doc, as stated before, you are completely amazing. However, when you and Constant team up, Oh My God, you are so far out there, I can't even find you. Congratulations.
Charles

Top Bottom