A purpleheart pair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvanite

Here is a purpleheart slimline set that was commissioned as a graduation gift. The plating is chrome although it looks darker in the harsh reflections of the picture. Finish is CA.
2007424184135_LR7111AB_x600.jpg

Here is a pic with a little more bling.
2007424184159_Purpleheart_x600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />how do you keep those beads when you're sanding?
I sand at 500rpm (the slowest my lathe goes). Generally, I sand both circumferentially (with the lathe turning) and longitudinally (with the lathe off) with each grit before moving on to the next. I typically start with 180 or 220 grit, depending on how much smoothing or shaping is needed. I think I started with 180 on this set, as the upper barrels are pretty straight. I turned them a little proud and sanded them flat.

These pens I sanded to 600 grit. My experience is that the grain usually jumps out at 600 so I often stop there - especially if using a CA finish. Other times, I go all the way to 2000. So, I sanded the barrels with 180, 220, 320, 400, and 600, but I didn't hit the beads with the first two. I only touched them with 320 and up.

I sanded the beads circumferentially with a the sandpaper folded in two (actually in 3, but that's not really relevant). Starting with the fold in between two beads, I roll the paper lightly each way up to the crown of the beads. This preserves their shape. I didn't sand longitudinally with 320 grit - just 400 and 600 and then only very lightly and briefly so as not to change the beads' profile.

Then I cleaned them with CA accelerator, gave them 2 coats of thin CA and 3 of thick CA/BLO (sanding longitudinally with 600g between coats). A quick buff with tripoli, white diamond, and wax completed the finish.

I gave them a day in the sun for color and delivered them the next morning.

barrels

Eric,

Did you sand and let them in the sun or did you finish then and then put in the sun. I have some purplehart to turn but I was told after sanding they will turn very dark if finished right after sanding and to let them sun before finishing. I see you said that that you delivered after the sunning .... please advise. VERY NICE PENS

Eric S.
www.picturetrail.co/barrels

Sylvanite

Originally posted by bob393
<br />Now thats a nice pair.[:D]

200743016222_A_Nice_Pair.jpg
<br />
Pink Floyd fans will have to forgive me for cropping the image, but forum rules prohibit posting the rest of the portrait ;)

I have an Osage Orange cigar pen that is so bright I could call it "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun".

Sylvanite

Originally posted by barrels
<br />Did you sand and let them in the sun or did you finish then and then put in the sun. I have some purplehart to turn but I was told after sanding they will turn very dark if finished right after sanding and to let them sun before finishing.
I turned, sanded, and finished the set in one friday evening session. I put them in a south facing window saturday morning and photographed them that night. I delivered them sunday.

The purpleheart blank in the second pic is unfinished, but was brown off the belt sander that same friday evening. I put it in the window with the pen&pencil and it purpled nicely too.

Some violet woods will turn very dark with stain or oil - Katalox in particular may become nearly black. I didn't oil these pieces. They were sealed with 2 coats of thin CA before using thick CA/BLO.

I did tweak the colors when editing the images, but they are true to life - at least on my monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom