Purple rain satin nickel slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Waluy

Waluy

Most recent creation. Its nothing overly fancy. Satin nickel slimeline from Woodcraft wrapped in a Purple Rain acrylic also from Woodcraft. I did take a different approach on selling this one though. I sold it to a sales person at my job for wholesale cost with the agreement that she gives anyone interested in it my business card and tells them my standard retail cost. In return she gets a nice pen and a small commission off any referrals.
1240225_509351535821549_643944124_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Waluy

Thanks I was fairly happy with this one and my wife said I have to start selling them or I can't spend any more money on it LOL.
The only thing I don't like about this pen is the finial end. The clip actually snapped into a groove cut on the finial about halfway up and as a result there is a gap (looks like a dark band in the picture). But I think it may have been designed that way as no amount of force that I could apply would move it anymore and it is in there tight.

seamus7227

cool blank! can you take an up close shot of the finial and clip so we can see it a little bit closer, i cant say i have ever heard of this issue you describe.

allisnut

Woodturnings sells a similar if not identical blank called 'Grape Escape' for $3.00. I haven't checked woodcrafts prices.

As far as the finial goes, I can't be sure from your picture, but I think the penn state funlines have a similar groove in the finial plug, and it is not designed to hang up on the clip and keep the finial from seating down tight.

Great looking pen - that's one of my favorite acrylics. By favorite, I mean fastest selling.

Waluy

cool blank! can you take an up close shot of the finial and clip so we can see it a little bit closer, i cant say i have ever heard of this issue you describe.

I had never seen or heard of anything like it before either but the clip was already a tight fit over the finial and when it hit that groove there was an audible click and the clip refused to move any further in any direction even with putting pressure directly on the clip and the finial from the other side with my vise. But the finial is in the pen snug and the clip is so snug I can't even rotate it.

Here is the best closeup I could get.
3q39.jpg

EDIT: On a side not the lady who bought it likes the way it looks and wants to keep it that way. I told her if she ever changes her mind let me know and I will see if I can do something about it.

Last edited:

lyonsacc

Steve,

I've had 2 slims do that (at least one was from Woodcraft). The hole on the clip was a tad small. I tried to drill the hole a smidge larger on my drill press - that ended in carnage. Went to Woodcraft and asked them about what happened. They gave me a spare clip and said they have had that problem before. I took a round file and went at the new clip until the hole was big enough to slip all the way on.

Dave

Waluy

Steve,

I've had 2 slims do that (at least one was from Woodcraft). The hole on the clip was a tad small. I tried to drill the hole a smidge larger on my drill press - that ended in carnage. Went to Woodcraft and asked them about what happened. They gave me a spare clip and said they have had that problem before. I took a round file and went at the new clip until the hole was big enough to slip all the way on.

Dave

Ok I will know to keep that in mind next time it appears like it maybe too small but for now I don't see the new owner of this pen wanting it fixed unless it fails.

jsolie

Nice pen! Between my wife and my daughter, all the purple colored pens I've made have been safely enshrined in purses, checkbooks, etc.

Waluy

Thank you all for the kind words.

I am partial to purple myself and this blank was one I actually thought would be scrap until I decided to put it on a slim. It was originally purchased for the corkscrew/stopper I turned for my mother-in-law but it got drilled so far off center I wasn't sure it would be good for anything (I had someone else drill it and something went wrong between his self-centering vise and his drill press that day, it went in off center on the top and came out WAY off center in the opposite direction at the bottom).

Alzey

Nice looking pen.

I have had the same issue with a couple different slims. What I to to keep from damaging the blank is to put the final and clip in my pen press with a 7 mm bushing. This way you put a bit more effort on it without the risk of damaging the blank.

Top Bottom