Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi I made a purple polka dot slimline
It was fun
Toni

2006108222836_yellow%20polka%20dot.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Snazzypens

Hi Marc, yes it is. I have it in the sun to purple them up. Yep me too but there no way you will see me in the bikini[:I][:D]
Toni

angboy

So how do you make the dots? It looks great! I have a feeling that you probably have some tool that I don't have that makes the dots, but once I know what it is, I might have to buy one!

Snazzypens

Originally posted by angboy
<br />So how do you make the dots? It looks great! I have a feeling that you probably have some tool that I don't have that makes the dots, but once I know what it is, I might have to buy one!

I cut the pen blank that I was using for the spot in quarter than I turned it down to 7mm drill size ( I just checked with it caliper) and then I just randomly drilled the hole and glued them in the hole like dowels. So no different tools used except a press drill and lathe and tools. You can do it Angboy
bye
Toni

This is really nice... do you mind if I try to copy your technique.... I make some nice pens and thought I was pretty good until I started looking at everyone's pens on this site... WOW!! I got some learning to do.

Aren't you up a little late/early... trying to remember my time differences between Queensland and Tennessee... back when I was doing international shipping, made a lot of calls late at night to Australia and Singapore.. now that I'm retired, forgot all that stuff about time differences.. except for where my grandkids are.

Hey Aussie Chick,
Here is my effort to do the polka dots..
First is Ebony with Polygem Aquamarine dots
Second is Paduak with Ebony dots. Also tried to do some Fru-Fru on it like Ed Davidson..

See what you think.. I used 10mm dots on the black pen.. and combo of 10 and 7 mm on the paduak..

20061012223551_ebony%20with%20dots.jpg
<br />

2006101222365_paduak%20with%20dots.jpg
<br />

Thanks.. I appreciate your comments.. was fun to make.. did you put your dowells all the way through your blanks or just partway... I cut the dowells to 10 mm then cut them off and inserted them into little pockets drilled into the blanks.

And yes, polygem is very similar to acryllic... more like the Tru-stone... it's a crushed stone in a resin... I think it's a little softer and more forgiving than the acryllics.

I meant to say that the paduak had an inclusion in the wood... had to fill it with CA to do the finish... this is the first pen I ever used CA on as a finish... I usually only use the HUT pen wax on my pens... about 6 or 7 coats per pen.

Snazzypens

Mine I went right through from front to back with mine..I am going to try to do the acyrlic mix too that looks nice
bye Toni

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom