Purple Passion kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeinSC

MikeinSC

Purple Passion acrylic kitless pens completed for an order. These take #6 JoWo nibs.

Attachments

• 20181119_123754.jpg
    20181119_123754.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregory Hardy

Wow! Beautiful work. I am particularly impressed with the interior polishing. (Drop me a PM if you are dying to share your tricks.) Fantastic looking pens!
(BTW - I have used many of the blanks I got from you in the lot purchase and love them. Please let me know if you're getting rid of any more. Fabulous pours, all of them.)

Last edited:

MikeinSC

Thank you Gregory. I'm happy that you've enjoyed the kitless blanks. Right now, I don't have any that I'm getting rid of.
The interior work starts with a good drill and ends with lots of sanding and polishing. If you can manage to drill out the interior and have a clean cut, it'll go a long way to making the rest a lot easier. Dont be rushed with it.

eharri446

Has anyone ever tried to keep your drill bits that you use for acrylics in the freezer until you need them. Part of my issue is with heat causing the hole to become frosted.

Curly

Maybe leave the bits at room temperature and chill the coolant/lubrication instead. Unless I threw the bits in a snowbank to loose they would be warm by the time I got them back to the shop from the kitchen and in the chuck. Not to mention how happy Marla would be if she opened the freezer and saw them there. Or get an ice bucket and live longer. :)

MikeinSC

Has anyone ever tried to keep your drill bits that you use for acrylics in the freezer until you need them. Part of my issue is with heat causing the hole to become frosted.

There's no real reason to chill the blanks, coolant, drills, etc to drill out the material. You won't get a crystal clear finish with a drill. The closest you could come to a clear inside with tooling is to do a finish pass with a boring bar.

Use good quality drills that are sharp. I use a variety of drills from DeWalt, Morse, Champion Brute, Norseman, some Swedish things that I can't pronounce or spell, etc. Good drills can be had for not all that much cash. I think I spend anywhere from $6.50/pc for the Champions to about $15/pc for the higher end Swedish drills. Once they dull, get a new one. I don't bother with a drill doctor or trying to save them. By the time they're no longer effective at cutting, I'll have made several dozen pens from them. They're a consumable, just like paper towels.

Peck drill the material to keep the flutes clear of swarf and use a lubricant. That will go a long way to controlling heat buildup. I personally use 3-in-1 oil on both acrylic and Alumilite whenever I am drilling out material. It washes off easily with warm soapy water.
Don't force your drills through the material. Let them do the work.

Despite all the precautions you take, you will still have to follow through with sanding and polishing the interior. I use 3M automotive wet sandpaper to clean up the interior. 600g, 1000g, 1500g, 2000g and plastic polish. I use meguirs plast-x and 3M Finish-It interchangeably depending on my mood.

Demonstrators take time and patience.

Top Bottom