Purple Heart for LOML

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ribanett

ribanett

LOML designed this pen. She wanted one for herself and one for each of our girls Liz and Kathy. This was the hardest pen I have ever made because it brought back memories and I had to stop and wipe the tears from my eyes.

purple_heart_front

purple_heart_back

The front is the Purple Heart Medal with the Vietnam Service Ribbon on top. The back has my name, service (USAF) and the date I was wounded.

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

renowb

Larry, real nice pens! I love veteran stuff! Although not a combat veteran, I served 71-73 active Army, 1st Cav Division. I love those pens!!

manatee

Nice pen Larry!! I have been thinking about making one myself but not sure how to do it. Did you take a picture of the medal on a waterslide decal? I was with the 1st Cav and wounded at Dak To in July 1966.

ribanett

Nice pen Larry!! I have been thinking about making one myself but not sure how to do it. Did you take a picture of the medal on a waterslide decal? I was with the 1st Cav and wounded at Dak To in July 1966.

Robert,
I combined the images of the Purple Heart Medal and the Vietnam Service Ribbon. Babe came up with the idea of putting name, service and date on the pen. I put everything on one decal. PM sent.

louie68

Larry very nice looking pen, may I ask how did you do the nib on pen to match up with the shell?. I recently loss my brother and I would like to do a few pens using the shells from his 21 gun salute. I made one using the Euro pen design 7mm tube but the nib (tip) does not match up with shells , can you give me any idea how to do this, or is there special bullet tips to make this look nicer. By the way both of my parents were born & raise in Hammond, LA. And Independence, LA. relatives from New Orleans to Baton Rouge, Covington, Best Regards, Louie Bufalo

ribanett

Larry very nice looking pen, may I ask how did you do the nib on pen to match up with the shell?. I recently loss my brother and I would like to do a few pens using the shells from his 21 gun salute. I made one using the Euro pen design 7mm tube but the nib (tip) does not match up with shells , can you give me any idea how to do this, or is there special bullet tips to make this look nicer. By the way both of my parents were born & raise in Hammond, LA. And Independence, LA. relatives from New Orleans to Baton Rouge, Covington, Best Regards, Louie Bufalo

Louie,
I use Winchester 147gr FMJ bullets for my nibs. There are a number of articles in the Lib. about making cartridge pens, here is one:

http://content.penturners.org/articles/2010/rifleshellpen.pdf

Because of the crimp that held the paper wad in the cartridge, you may have a problem. You might take the cartridges to a gunsmith and have them re-necked. Tell them what you are making and they might do it for free.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

Top Bottom