Purple Heart El Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

El-Grande-PH-RB1.jpg

El-Grande-PH-RB2.jpg

El-Grande-PH-RB3.jpg

For some reason I think I like the El Grande better than the Churchill, Not sure why, still not a big fan of friction posting.Kit from Ernie, El Grande Roller Ball, I may change it to a FP if I can find some ink to match the wood (yes, I'm trying to be a FP snob) [8D]
Purple Heart, straight CA finish just wet sanded through 1500, buffed with Zam, and Ren Waxed, comments and criticism wanted and encouraged, especially on the Pen [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Ken,The pen looks fine as is the finish except in the second picture and it just might be the photo but it looks under turned at the nib.I also agree with friction posting.

avbill

Change over to a FP and use either Private Reserve's:
1.) Burgundy Mist or
2.) Arabian Rose.

These are the closest inks to purple heart.

Plum is another ink by PR but its much brighter color for the purpleheart.

Bill Daniels ;)

Marc Phillips

I like that pen! ... It's a El Grande from Ernie eh... and it uses a friction fit to post the cap?

I like the look of the smooth end, instead of the usual threads though... what is the problem with the friction fit?

Sorry for the questions... I really like that kit and you did a great job!

karlkuehn

Banned
Beautiful pen, Ken! I love purple heart. Your posting reminds me of why I got into pen turning in the first place; beautiful wood = great pen.

Somewhere along the line I got sidetracked with finding the weirdest crap I could to make blanks with, and rarely ever get to make a nice wood pen anymore. I just did a perfect fit *cough-stupidkit-cough-hatedit-coughcough...ahemmm..* out of a nice piece of walnut, and it felt like I was skipping about 27 steps while I was building it because I didn't have a bunch of holes, colors, textures or weird transitions to work out.

I've never done an El Grande, but I like how clean the kit looks. I'll have to order some and see how I like them. I'll be curious to see how customizable they are. (there I go again, making things harder...heh)

bitshird

Originally posted by Buzz

Great pen, well done. Photography as always is also first class.
Wow, thanks, I don't hear that very often, the Pens are easy, the photography is the bear,[:eek:)][:eek:)]

Roy it's turned to size, actually about .002 over, it's the dumb arse angle I tried to take the picture at, I've got to make a photo area. maybe a light tent, and tripod!![:p]

I will say I like the El Grande better than the Churchill, and as far as the friction posting, I think nearly all the collector pens use some type snap or friction post, So I guess I'll have to live with it, and already changed out the nib section to a FP I think it will be my new daily user[^]
Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate them, ;);)

Ligget

Excellent looking pen, real clean lines on the El Grande, it suits the purpleheart beautifully, your picture is fine and clear too![:p] Well done Ken!:)

Top Bottom