Purple Heart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

I turned this one for the wife. Dad tried to speed up the color change process by sticking it in the microwave. Scorched the center of the blank. It was blowing smoke out of the top like a road flare. That being said, the dark brown to purple transition it made it really smooth. Don't think we could replicate that result in a thousand attempts.

Attachments

• purpleheart.jpg
    purpleheart.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 655
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I like it, too. Mostly because it's different. It's also my first validated attempt at the super gloss finish. Couple of small flaws, but I'm still very new at this.

aggromere

Yea, i think it looks cool When I turn purple heart I almost always burn the ends when I am squaring the blanks. I tell folks it's part of the design, lol.

witz1976

+1 in sticking it in the sunshine. I turned purpleheart a couple times and found the timber was really brown after turning. Stick it in the sun for 6 hours and it changed to a very nice purple.

Your method works as well and I too like the color shift.

ToddMR

Good looking pen! I just let it turn darker over time personally. However have done the sunlight too. I really like your shape on the barrels. I had not done that shape on a slimline before and might have to give it a try. Nice one!

Drstrangefart

If you skip the belly band on the slimline, the options for shaping shenanigans really opens up. Just don't use the middle bushing on the lathe that would separate the blank halves.

Drstrangefart

I may have to try that. I wanna turn more purple heart as soon as I get the chance. Thought about blotting areas selectively with sunblock before I seal it, but I can see technical difficulties arising.....

Top Bottom