Purple Haze

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is the other blank Dean gave me last weekend. It is a Turn Tex Cactus blank made by Curtis of Turn Tex Woodworking.com called Purple Haze. The pen kit is a Craft Supply Artisan Jr. Retro in Rhodium finish. MM to 12,000, 8 coats of thick CA, with a coat of One-Step Plastic Polish. Again this blank uses the inside fibers of the cactus as aposed to the skeletal structure we normaly see. Makes a very interesting blank and nice pen. Again thanks to Dean for the blanks, and Curtis for making them !!! Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0007 (640x461).jpg
    DSCF0007 (640x461).jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF0006 (223x640).jpg
    DSCF0006 (223x640).jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF0008 (640x163).jpg
    DSCF0008 (640x163).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 183
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monark88

This is the other blank Dean gave me last weekend. It is a Turn Tex Cactus blank made by Curtis of Turn Tex Woodworking.com called Purple Haze. The pen kit is a Craft Supply Artisan Jr. Retro in Rhodium finish. MM to 12,000, 8 coats of thick CA, with a coat of One-Step Plastic Polish. Again this blank uses the inside fibers of the cactus as aposed to the skeletal structure we normaly see. Makes a very interesting blank and nice pen. Again thanks to Dean for the blanks, and Curtis for making them !!! Jim S

Beautiful pen/blank.
I have a serious question. Not being sarcastic! What is the advantage of 8 coats of Ca, after finishing to 12000 grit? Not much to be achieved after the 12000, is there?

I do the same, but without the Ca and finish is brilliant. What am I missing?
Thanks Russ

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader

Dean who? :eek:

plantman

Beautiful pen/blank.
I have a serious question. Not being sarcastic! What is the advantage of 8 coats of Ca, after finishing to 12000 grit? Not much to be achieved after the 12000, is there?

Thanks Russ

Russ; the 12,000 MM makes the surface smooth. I found I could not get the shine I wanted on these blanks, so I added the 8 coats of CA, sanded with 220 and 600, than applied the One-Step Plastic polish. These extra coats also gave the pen a look of more depth. The reason you can't get the shine on the blanks, is because the fiber of the cactus come to the surface and will not polish well, so the clear coats were added. Jim S

monark88

Beautiful pen/blank.

Thanks Russ

Russ; the 12,000 MM makes the surface smooth. I found I could not get the shine I wanted on these blanks, so I added the 8 coats of CA, sanded with 220 and 600, than applied the One-Step Plastic polish. These extra coats also gave the pen a look of more depth. The reason you can't get the shine on the blanks, is because the fiber of the cactus come to the surface and will not polish well, so the clear coats were added. Jim S

Jim, I hadn't thought about the cactus coming to surface. Appreciate the reply.
Russ

Top Bottom