Purple Gidgee Blingless Harvest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dai Sensei

Dai Sensei

Whist cutting some of my Purple Gidgee (Acacia carneorum) I got a couple of pretty spiffy pen blank shorts from the scraps. They are a butterfly pair with beautiful feather grain, but not from a fork, actually around a small fault within the log.

I haven't made a pen for quite a while so decided to make a special pen out of the blanks and gave a Blingless Harvest (from Timberbits) a go. Actually all the little fiddly bits are a real pain to make, especially the clip slither that has to be had shaped, hand sanded then hand finished. It came from a small slice I took off one corner of the cap blank to ensure the grain matched the cap. The colour is more purple than shown and will go a darker purple in time.

Ended up turning a fair bit of the blanks and bits on Gawdelpus's (John) metal lathe with his help to ensure accurate sizes as his lathe has the digital read outs. This is the last pen we will ever make together, as he passed away suddenly on Monday, so it now will remain with me as a very special pen.

Attachments

• purple gidgee flame.jpg
    purple gidgee flame.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 612
  • pg1.jpg
    pg1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 411
  • pg2.jpg
    pg2.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 349
  • pg3.jpg
    pg3.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 360
  • pg4.jpg
    pg4.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 338
  • pg5.jpg
    pg5.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 498
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
My thoughts are with John's family and friends. A very special pen Neil!

It may have started out with little embellishments, but it certainly ended up as a very unique work with much artistry and craftsmanship.

Be well, Mate.

jttheclockman

Neil

I saw your post over at the Aussie site and reposted it here to let others know of John's passing. He was one of those special people that always shared. He will be missed.

Your pen has many memories in it for you so cherish it. I do like the pen very much and I always like those kits because it allows you to add your own touch. I wish more kits were like this. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom