Purple Dwarf Banksia (George/Robutacion) Majestic Pen & Letter opener kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

G'day folks,

I am heading for a couple of days to Esperance, for a church camp. Can't wait to see the ocean again. Its one of the most beautiful parts of Western Australia. Its a 400km drive. I thought I would put up one more pen kit that I made for an emergency department registrar. He saw George's Purple Dwarf Banksia blank and said that was his favourite colour and he had to have it! He wanted the kit, with the letter opener. Once again awesome blank from George (robutacion). I really thought the colour combination with the 22k gold plated Majestic pen suited it. What do you think?

C & C welcome as always

Cheers,
Sean

Attachments

• Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit.jpg
    Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 839
  • Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit 1.jpg
    Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit 1.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 419
  • Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit 2.jpg
    Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit 2.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 651
  • Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit 3.jpg
    Purple Dwarf Banksia Roman Harvest Fountain Pen Kit 3.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 392
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Sean,

You never disappoint me mate, your work is flawless, you make my blanks look always good.

Now, I have to ask this question, did you select the 3 individual shorts used, or you used some of the blanks made with 2 small pods but supplied together as a full size blank...???

Is hard to decided which colour suits these Banksia Dwarf pods the best, every colour I made them with seems to suit, I suppose, the questions may go to, what kit and plating, suits each of the blanks possible colours, and again, I get stuck with it, all blanks I've seen "dressing" all sorts of pen kits, seem to always look appart so, is just one of those things that seems to always work...!:wink::biggrin:

I have some guys buying pen blanks from me from Esperance, it seems to be a beautiful place to live but, no trees...!:frown:

Enjoy your trip away...!:)

Cheers
George

tgsean

Thanks everyone, got back from Esperance just this evening. George, it was a full size blank, but I think made with 2 small pods.

robutacion

Thanks everyone, got back from Esperance just this evening. George, it was a full size blank, but I think made with 2 small pods.

Hi Sean,

That's what I though...!

When I found those 2 large Banksia Dwarf trees at one of the highway service-stations most of the pods I collect, were from one tree that was more accessible than the other ( a lot taller) however, I noticed that, the pods on this second tree were slightly different, I actually believe that they are 2 different species, planted side by side, this second tree is much bushier, with darker leaves and the pods I could reach, they seem to have bigger/wider seed holes, they were a little fatter but when trimmed prior to casting, it was noticeable the larger seed holes.

The intention was to keep them separate (very small minority) and then cast them in pairs but cast together or, not separated after casting, as I done with some, previously. This off-course was to avoid a 2 barrel pen to be made with identical pod halves however, I had noticed after they were cast, clean and sprayed with varnish (more visible) that, I had made a few blanks where I used one half pod of each type, this would have made no difference in the blanks was going to be cut to make 2 individual single barrel pens but, in cases like yours, you used what was in that full size blank and probably didn't realise or if you did, you didn't know why they looked slightly different, that is the reason why...!

Make no mistake, it takes nothing out of the pen, and in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone being aware of this, would use then as is, just to create a conversation subject.

The other option was to find another blank the same color with the same miss match of pod types, separate them and then match the 2 sets with identical pods...!

Anyway, I just thought that, you and others that may have been or will be confronted with a similar situation from that same batch I made previously that, there are options if one doesn't want to use slightly different pods in the same pen...!

I'm trying to get the strength and hopefully, Merissa to get better so that she can at least old on to the leader, while I'm up the top, collecting the pods. I will have pods from both trees so, I will have the same pods differences but this time, I will try to be more careful in selecting and keeping apart the 2 species...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom