PSI Gun Metal Trimline in Yellowheart with custom center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello All
A few first with this one. My first trimline pen, the first time I've turned Yellowheart and it maybe the last. I like the look of the wood and how it turns and finishes but I give me a rash were the shaving or dust contact my skin. And the first shot an a custom center band in the case of this pen it Bloodwood. I got the idea of making the center band while turning the Yellowheart and how it would look with a red center band. I thought about Paduck but I did have any scrap, I did have the Bloodwood and I think it a good contrast. The finish is WTF. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

I like the shape, especially the subtle taper in the upper barrel. I think the bloodwood center band is a good departure from the gun metal band.

I need to take a stab at making some custom center bands. Too many skills to learn, not enough time!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks Brian and Mike for your nice comments. I'm fairly happy with the way it came out.
Interesting variation....actually you could do that with a slimline or a comfort kit as well their cap, tip and tube lengths pretty well match the streamline, so you could get a variation of clips without too much difficulty.

walshjp17

Hey, Dan. If you like to turn Slimlines and its variants (Creekline, Comfort, Trimline), take a look at Don Ward's great book, Turning Modified Slimline Pens, Beyond the Basics. You'll find many ways to modify these little pens and have lots of fun to boot.

BTW, not sure if I mentioned this before, but when I started out in the Navy Reserves while in HS and College I was a PR striker. Never got to go to A-School or make a jump, my only regret in a 26-year career.

Karl_99

Very nice pen! I really like the contrast of the bloodwood with the yellowheart.

I think I need to try some wooden centerbands.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I looked at that book before but didn't see much in it that was appealing at the time. I think I'll take another look now that I know a bit more. You have told me about being a PR striker. I got my first ride in a helo while I was there, I took off with it but didn't land with it. I stepped out at about 3000 feet for a better view.

plano_harry

I think it looks great! Very clean style and fits the clip. Nice fit - did you turn it all together? I originally assumed the bloodwood was glued to the yellowheart.

Harry

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for the nice comments I turned the center band after I finished turning and sanding the yellowheart barrels . I used the center bushing and the canter band that came with the kit as a guide to turn and sand it, one it was happy with the size it put the yellowheat barrels and bloodwood center together on the lathe and did my finishing. I really wasn't sure about just how to do it so I took a shot in the dark more or less.

ironman123

Dan, that is a trial and success. Very nice. I really like the band.

Do you keep a list of the woods that cause you health issues? It would be a good thing to have.

Ray

OZturner

Dan, I Love your selection of Timbers and the Trimline.
Shame you had a reaction to Yellow Heart, as it goes so well with the Bloodwood Centre Band.
Your blank profile is superb, as is your Fit and Finish.
Great suggestions from LeRoy.
You must be very proud and satisfied with your incredible progress.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks everyone for all your great comments. The only wood I have a reaction to so far is yellowheart. I found that out during a scroll saw project. I thought I would give it another go. I am really proud of way my progress has come a long. I'm looking forward to getting my dead and live centers so I can try a TBC pen.

Top Bottom