PSI Gear Shift Pens - Show & Opinion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

Spent a couple of hours of quality time in the shop tonight and tried the new PSI gear shift pen kit. I ordered 6 of them in chrome and made 5.

I ordered the chrome as opposed to the pewter and brass because I wanted to capture the spirit of the muscle cars I grew up with (yes, I am that old:eek:). So I thought that the chrome, coupled with some of the popular colors (couldn't find a good candy apple red) would make the point. I used black ebonite (Classic Nib) - you can't beat chrome and shiny black; burgundy madrepearlato (Exotic Blanks) for a classy look; green pearl (PSI); purple mesh (plum purple - close enough - from Exotic Blanks); Fire Feathers for a flame look (PSI).

I was impressed with the kit itself. It is hefty and the components have a sturdy feel - nothing seems cheap or tinny. The gear shift action is similar to the bolt action, but feels stronger to me (just my opinion). Overall, I'm pleased with the appearance of the kit and the mating with the blanks.

The ebonite turned well as expected, as did the madrepearlato. The green pearl from PSI was one of their pre-drilled 7 mm blanks and turned okay. The purple mesh turned nicely as well. The fire feathers was a bear to turn - brittle and chipped easily - but has incredible pearl highlights and has a great overall appearance.

I couldn't resist using one of my grandson's cars to hold up the pens. As a side note, the black background is a "dead" laptop screen I got from my local computer repair shop.

I'll be going to a show in Wyoming at the end of this month, that will also have a car show, so I'll be interested to see how well they are received. I'll let you know.

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Black Ebonite Gear Shift.jpg
    Black Ebonite Gear Shift.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 441
  • Burgundy Madrepearlato Gear Shift.jpg
    Burgundy Madrepearlato Gear Shift.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 491
  • Green Pearl Gear Shift.jpg
    Green Pearl Gear Shift.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 393
  • Grape Mesh Gear Shift.jpg
    Grape Mesh Gear Shift.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 652
  • Fire Feathers Gear shift.jpg
    Fire Feathers Gear shift.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 432
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Jimmie and Mike, thanks for the kind words. They are much appreciated. PSI has done a good job with shipping these - 5 days from order to my doorstep.

Jimmie, make sure you post some of your gear shift pens when you get them done.

Mike, are you starting to get ideas for a gear shift watch part pen???

elkhorn

Thanks, Eugene. I should have mentioned it in the original post:

ebonite - as is
burgundy madrepearlato - reverse painted black
green pearl - reverse painted forest green
purple mesh - reverse painted black
fire feathers - reverse painted black

Hope this helps.

magpens

I love the look of those pens, John ... lovely work !!

But I have to say I am a bit wary of the PSI Gear Shift for two reasons:
1) it looks a bit top-heavy .... is it actually ? .... and
2) the clip looks flimsy compared to the rest of the pen.

The screw-on clip is the same style as the Tec-Pen. I bought some of the Tec-Pens when they first came out and have had a lot of trouble with the clip screws loosening. The clip then wiggles from side to side. A tiny drop of CA under the clip, or in the screw threads may be the answer, methinks.

elkhorn

Michael and Mal, I appreciate the compliments!

Mal, IMHO, they don't seem top-heavy. The pen balances perfectly if held where the top action meets the blank. I've not made any TEC pens, so I appreciate your words of warning. It may be a good idea to apply a really tiny drop of CA in the screw threads on the clip as well as the top finial. It would help eliminate any potential customer issues.

Top Bottom