PSI Chrome Bolt Action dressed in BOW

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello Everyone
It took a bit of doing but I was able to turn a pen over the last few days. I cut the blank while holding my weight on my crutches, used my shop stool to drill and then trim the blank. Evelyn brought my stool inside last night and I sat and turned and finished the blank it was not the easiest think I've done and I'm not sure I'll do it again, as fun as it was it's a lot of work and I just not up it right now. I was able use the top of our washer to assemble the pen it just across when were my lathe is so I was able to set and do it so I sat down on the job for all but one step of the project.This is the first time I've turned Bethlehem Olive Wood. It nice to turn and finish and it has a nice smell as your turning it. The finish is 12 coats of WTF. As always any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Great job, Dan. You must have one crazy workshop - a Shop Stool to drill and trim the blanks (is it a variation of a Shop Smith?) and a washing machine for an assembly press!

Just kidding, my friend. I admire you going to all that trouble to make a pen. The final product was worth your effort.

Get better!!!!

birddog

Very nice work!

Turning a pen on crutches is great determination
and the end product is shows.

That BOW is one of my favorite materials.

Tim

Mike Powell

BOW is one of my very favorite.

Im going to try local OW when I get home. I found a grove saving some trimmings for me. They should be about dry when I get home.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the nice comments. John my shop stool is better then a shop smith, it's a one of a kind custom made beauty even though it a little worse for wear, kind of like me right how.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 98

elkhorn

Nice!

I think we can now call it an official Dan's StoolSmith!

Hope you're up and around soon.

Lenny

Nicely done, Dan!
I love the way BOW leaves the shop smelling. I've never used WTF, but I admit I've whispered it under my breath a few times!:biggrin:
Hope you heal up quickly and can get more "pain free" shop time.

ironman123

WoW Dan. PSI would be proud of you on that pen. Finish is superb. I like WTF. I tried it after one of your posts a while back and I liked it.
Get yourself back on 2 feet and show us another Dan's masterpeice.

Ray

Ambidex

Love working with bow..very nice pen, fit and finish...be careful and don't push too much. Heal up and get healthy..we'll still be here...at least I hope I will and everyone else here..:wink: meanwhile if you're not up to bow, perhaps a few more stealth pens??:biggrin:

OZturner

Love the BOW Bolt Action Pen Dan,
Your Fit is Great.
Your Finish is Fantastic, what a sheen.
If you can do that between a stool, washing machine and crutches imagine what we will see when you are fully recovered.
Take it Easy, or any way you can get it.
Best Wishes,
Brian.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the great comments on my pen and the well wishes and comments for me. It really means a lot. I really like WTF I was able to do the 12 coats sand and buff using 6000 - 12000 mm in about 13 minutes.

edicehouse

Dan, great job. I like that kit with a nice wood blank. Makes it seem more like a 'redneck' pen. What's that say about me??? LOL

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Ed, I like the kit too. I'm thinking of trying one in deer antler and give it to my old manager. I've been in your area a time or two in the past weeks. Evelyn has a client in Suffolk from what I've seen it a nice area.

glen r

Great looking pen. Now all you have to do is look after yourself - rest and just think about turning pens but don't do it. Turning while standing on crutches could be an accident looking for a place to happen so please refrain from doing any more pens. The blanks and kits will still be there when you heal a little more.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
T hanks Glen for your concern. I'm not turning while standing on my crutches I'm using my shop stool for that but I'm still not going to do any turning until I'm better it's just to much work. Harry I just had to try at least once. I'm glad you like the pen Pitoon I'm sure I'll be doing more of the BOW and bolt action kits.

Top Bottom