PSI Celtic Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from arkie

arkie

Celtic twist pen in antique pewter. The body is a Green & Black acrylic acetate.

Attachments

• 002 (718x800).jpg
    002 (718x800).jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 345
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

That is a beautiful blank Jim,
It has a quite Misty, Cloudy and Mysterious look about it.
Your Fit and Finish is Superb.

I am very fond of, and fasinated by the Celtic Pen. But I am somewhat unsure if the Antique Pewter is the best choice for that Blank.

The strict, rigid, repetitive pattern of the Celtic Pen is in stark contrast to the misty, cloudy, flowing, mysterious look of the Blank.
Also the Antique Pewter finish being so subtle, doesn't seem to create enough of a Contrast against the Blank. Nor make a Strong Positional Stand, of the misty cloudy, mysterious Blank whirling like a Cloud around and against an Outstanding Strong Object, the Celtic Pen.
I feel that neither the Blank or the Antique Celtic Pen are strong enough to make any Dominant Stand against each other, yet the contrasts between them are not strong enough to bind them.
I don't know if my words are adequately conveying my thoughts.
I probably should reserve any judgement in difference to those who have seen the Pen in the Flesh.
I look forward to reading others comments.
Congratulations,
Brian

Last edited:

arkie

Pewter Celtic Pen

Brian,

Neither the harmony nor the tension between hardware and blank is quite what I would prefer, but it does look better in the flesh than in my photo. I'm curious what your opinion will be on the brass version.

Jim

I am very fond of, and fasinated by the Celtic Pen. But I am somewhat unsure if the Antique Pewter is the best choice for that Blank.

The strict, rigid, repetitive pattern of the Celtic Pen is in stark contrast to the misty, cloudy, flowing, mysterious look of the Blank.
Also the Antique Pewter finish being so subtle, doesn't seem to create enough of a Contrast against the Blank. Nor make a Strong Positional Stand, of the misty cloudy, mysterious Blank whirling like a Cloud around and against an Outstanding Strong Object, the Celtic Pen.
I feel that neither the Blank or the Antique Celtic Pen are strong enough to make any Dominant Stand against each other, yet the contrasts between them are not strong enough to bind them.
I don't know if my words are adequately conveying my thoughts.
I probably should reserve any judgement in difference to those who have seen the Pen in the Flesh.
I look forward to reading others comments.
Congratulations,
Brian

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This one in antique brass with green synthetic burl acrylic. I like this one a little better than the pewter.
This one pops more than the pewter one. I think the pewter want's either super bright barrel or a "layed back" soft look - it's kind of a dull color for pens that might work along with Rhodium (rather than Black Titanium)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hate to rain on the debate.... I actually like BOTH combinations! They both look fine to me - the colors are good, the appearance is good. Just different perspectives I guess.

Nice turning also!

arkie

That's a good idea Smitty! If I do another pewter, I'll try a much brighter blank.

I also agree with you Mark. I like both pens, but I could like them more yet....

LeeR

I've just gotten back into pen turning after about a 1 year hiatus. I've never bought a PSI kit, but quite intrigued with the Knights Armor and Celtic kits.

I give away my pens, and these struck me as something new to try, especially for a couple people I know that are into all things medieval.

I'm hoping the quality is pretty decent, since these are pretty pricey pens for PSI.

By the way, nice execution on this pen!

OZturner

This one in antique brass with green synthetic burl acrylic. I like this one a little better than the pewter.

Jim,
The Brass Celtic, on that Beautiful Green Blank, that has a Marbled effect is OUTSTANDING.
It has just the contrast that I felt was lacking on the Pewter.
It looks Monumental, Standing Regal, and Meaningful. Like it belongs on a Church Altar.

Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom