Prune Pens without the Pits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

OK, I'm going with Prune Wood on this since the history of my area includes Prune Hill and they were called Prune Orchards. I haven't made any pens for awhile so I'm a bit rusty--looks like my mandrel may be bent as these are slightly proud on one side, but wanted to share the results of some of the wood I got. A question---I'm not sure about using gold kits with this wood---what plating would you suggest with this wood?? I usually make wood centerbands, but didn't have time right now and wanted to have one for the friend that let me have the wood.

200741314422_aapensone%20003.jpg

200741314511_aapensone%20005.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alexander

Your right Tom, although a beautiful wood, finding the right kit may be difficult. I am usually not a big fan of the satin finishes, but they may be the best bet for you with this wood. I would have probably tried a kit with a black finish on these. The pens look nice, you havent lost your touch !

GaryMGg

I like that wood.
Prune is in the cherry family, right?
If those will darken over time like cherry does, I'd think they look great with
bright copper plating or black TN kits.

Gary

Hiram33

Super looking pens and i agree a darker finish would look great. Also you mentioned a wood band? Is they some place that might have instruction on making wooded bands. Thanks Peter

Tom McMillan

Thanks guys!! I'll have to get a few copper kits to try--I do have some black chrome kits I might try to see how they look. I don't have any black titanium kits yet either--do they look similar to the black chrome??

Tom McMillan

Oh, about wood bands. I thought there was a tutorial---but I just looked at the library and don't see it. Does anyone know if there is a tutorial on wood bands?? Maybe it was the Yahoo Group that has it?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf Scott Greaves article from American Woodturner a couple of years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom