Proud dad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Carl Fisher

Carl Fisher

My oldest (soon to be 10) son's first turning on the new equipment. From rough cutoff stock to completed pen.

He drilled the blanks, glued in the tubes and turned all but the fine tuning on the final shape. His design and he helped with sanding/polishing. I only squared the blanks, did the final fine tuning of the shape down to the bushings and the blo/ca finish.

For scrap mahogany from a local mill, this stuff exposed some beautiful grains.

IMG_1081%20%28Small%29.JPG

IMG_1091%20%28Small%29.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tt1106

Beautiful. Alas, I was unable to produce an heir. Three daughters who have no interest in anything in the garage. <sniff>
I will continue to live vicariously through you. The silver lining is I have 3 shots at getting taken care of in my old age.

Brooks803

Looks at helluva (it's a southern thing) lot better than my first one! and I was 27 when I made it :eek: It's great that this can be something for yall to do together.

jbswearingen

Now that's too cool. AND a great pen to boot! Here's the challenge...let him use it (and probably lose it) or put it in a safe somewhere to give him when he's teaching HIS kids to use the lathe?

I can't wait until mine is ready to make some pens!

Carl Fisher

Actually I've been keeping aside the one he turned at the wood show that started it all. But since they started with ready to go blanks (drilled, glued, squared) I think this one may replace it for him to have when he grows up as a reminder.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm looking forward to when he is comfortable enough to move from the EWT to a gouge and skew to really get the fine fit in there.

Funny you just posted this!

I just spent some time today with the kids letting them get blanks ready for turning tomorrow...

My son (9) is making a lacewood slimline and my daugther (11) is making one of the black/white blanks I poured and got stuck in the PVC earlier this week. They are making them for back to school.

Carl Fisher

Ok, now I'm just showing off. My wife asked me to teach her tonight and she did 95% with just my instruction. I only did the squaring while she did the cutting, drilling, gluing, turning and finish start to end. I never touched a tool :D
She picked Canary wood.

IMG_1125%20%28Small%29.JPG

IMG_1128%20%28Small%29.JPG

Old Lar

Time to expand the shop... Nice work on the pens.
My wife has never turned a pen but helps with design ideas and pen component selection. She is very artistic and I appreciate her opinion. I have a couple grandsons coming up that have shown some interest in turning when they get a little older.

Top Bottom