A prototype... the shape

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/f...ums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=85

Here's the second prototype to see if I got the shape right. The finial is an 1/8″ too long and the main cap barrel is an 1/8″ too short, but it's still 2 1/2″ long. Really glad to be getting some practice in before I start turning the celluloid. :)

Made from Carrot Acrylic.
Closed 5 5/8″ – Open 5 1/4″ – Posted 7 1/8″

img_3048.jpg

img_3052.jpg

img_3054.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kretzky

very nicely done, looks well balanced but I do agree about the finial, for me it needs to be about 1/2 the length it is now ( or maybe even a bit more) if that won't compromise the integrity of the clip/ finial strength.
David

alamocdc

Shawn, I llike the shape, but the length doesn't please my eye, if that makes sense. And it isn't the finial to cap ratio. Yes, that is wrong, but you already know this. It is overall cap length vs the visible barrel length with the cap in place. Woodworkers always talk about the golden mean, or golden ratio, and I've scoffed at it a few times. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the visible barrel length compared to the cap length should meet this ratio. I'm just saying something about doesn't look quite right. It is possible that it is an anamoly caused by the clip ring. When I hold my finger up to block it out, the overall appearance is more pleasant. I just don't know.

John Den

IMHO the finial should continue the curve of the cap. It's not its length that bothers me.
I, however, hope my FIRST kit-less has so little to raise comments. (my first is getting nearer but the problems are making themselves known!!!)
Kindest regards,
John

Drstrangefart

It's interesting. I feel like the shape needs a brighter, more opaque color set. It seems like the dark colors are at odds with the shape. I could just be talking out of my butt, having 0 kitless experience, so take it for what it's worth.

BSea

Personally, I like the colors. As far as the shape goes, I'm with most others that think the cap finial is too long. What cap threads are on this one. I'm guessing 12mm since it seems shorter than most of your others.

watch_art

Cap to barrel threads of 14mm. :)
The finial has 10mm threads - same as section to barrel.
The exposed clip ring is what determined the diameter of the finial.

SDB777

Could the clip ring be 'adjusted'....okay, cut and made smaller in diameter and then hidden? Reducing the size needed for the threading.....

I really like the way the cap shape meets the body of the pen itself. Very style-ish!!

Scott (or maybe I don't know) B

Dustygoose

Shawn, I like the overall cap shape. It follows the body shape. Very pleasing to see and to hold in the hand. The finial not so much. To me it's too square/flat. To me, it should follow the cap's lines.

The clip ring to me is nice either exposed or hidden (which makes the cap larger diameter to hide the ring). I like both styles

watch_art

Customer wants something shaped like a Montblanc 139 - and after working with the drawings and measurements he sent me, he sent me NEW dimensions. :)
So the next one, that I started on last night, will have straighter body and cap lines...
here's a pic of one...

139l01.jpg

139km02.jpg

So now, instead of 5 5/8", it will be 5 3'8". Diameters will be the same, and the clip ring will still be exposed but with a greater recess. So the cap and finial will be wider than the ring by about a mm on each side. So close to 16mm in diameter.

watch_art

Yeah - It's funny too - I've been making all these curvy pens this whole time - and this is only the second or third attempt at making something STRAIGHT! :) It's kind of hard.

Top Bottom