Prototype rifle cartridge twist pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fatdawg

Fatdawg

I was sorting through some reloading gear yesterday, sorting out the junk and found alot of brass that couldn't be reloaded anymore. Even though I'm new to pen turning, I remembered reading an article on making pens from spent brass. So after refreshing myself with the procedures I decided to give it a try. Here's what I ended up with as my prototype. I used a .243 Win. case fitted with a 100 gr. Serria Spitzer boattail bullet. The upper barrel is from some cherry I had laying around fitted with Titanium Nitride hardware for a PSI slimline kit I had. Being new to this and not thinking through it all, the upper barrel assembly came up short, due to the case's short length the transmission couldn't be seated very deep. I should have left some extra material on the upper barrel bored over to slip down over the transmission. However I think I kinda like this look though because you can see the stamping on the bottom of the case. I have lots more old brass to play with so I'll post my progress. I welcome at tips, trick, comments etc. I know alot of people comment on picture quality, sorry I only have a cheap digital camera.

Attachments

• 100_3574.jpg
    100_3574.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_3576.jpg
    100_3576.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_3577.jpg
    100_3577.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

If you want to use a center band, the band from a streamline pen is closer to the diameter of the cartridge. Here is an example of one. Another suggestion would be to turn the bottom of the top barrel to match the contour of the base of the cartridge. Nice job on yours, these are just a couple suggestions that might also look nice.

Attachments

• 600Pen 39 8-2008.jpg
    600Pen 39 8-2008.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 124

snyiper

I have taken the rim from another shell and cut it and made the bottom of the top barrel a tennon to slip in the shell piece and used that as a oops band. You can make it as wide as you like and you will have rim on top of rim.

Top Bottom