prototype for Aggie pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wendell

wendell

Howdy Y'all,

I want to make pen in the color of Texas A&M that I will eventually get engraved with the school logo. Here's my first prototype design in burgundy dyed curly maple with holly, black dyed veneer, and aluminum accents. I haven't quite decided if I like the design or not. I know I could have executed it better so I think I see the flaws more than the bigger picture. What I'd like to hear is some feedback about the overall design, kit choice, plating choice, etc.

ag_jr_gent_cap.jpg

ag_jr_gent_uncap.jpg

Wendell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

wonderful pen & design. If there are flaws your camera work has hidden them well. Selling a few of those when engraved should get you through university!

lwalden

Nice work, Wendell! Did you consider Rhodium with Black Titanium as an alternate plating option? Granted, you give up some of the "bling" factor, but with the black pickuard accents it might tie in better, while not competing with the blanks themselves to catch the eye of the beholder/penholder. Looks very sharp as is, how did glue up of this one go? Is the wife pleased with the results (isn't she the resident aggie in the household)?

txbatons

Very nice pen, there. It's difficult to tell (my monitor?) if the color is truly Aggie maroon. If that's the case, engraving it would certainly enhance the pen. Otherwise, folks might not make the connection.

Oh, who am I kidding? Ags only see in shades of maroon anyway, don't they? [:p]

banjobob

I've been pondering the same theme for a while, but you've gotten a lot further than I. My only reservation in giving it two thumbs up is the holly. The colors should be maroon and white, not maroon and off white. What do you think about using a white resin. You've inspired me, I'm off to wood craft for some resin blanks. Thanks. I'll post a pic if I have a revelation. Gig'em aggies

Rob
Class of '96

jwalt191

Beautiful pen. You did a very nice job on the finishing. Is the pen kit itself a copper kit, or is it like a rose gold kit? Just wondering, I like it very much.

MikePittman

Tell you what, if you can't decide if you like the design, send it to me so I can provide it the loving home that pen deserves. :D That pen is absolutely beautiful!

wendell

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments. I think the lighting in the photo could obviously be better. The holly really is more off white in person. Though I did have to watch the color bleed over when sanding. The kit is a Rhodium Jr. Gent but again my lightning is giving the photo sort of a rose tint I think.

Lyle,
Actually both my wife and I are Aggies so this my pen. The euro in my album was made for her. The gold accents didn't seem quite right for the color scheme to me. I was thinking either a Jr. Statesman with Black Ti accents or maybe the Rhodium Jr. Retro with its black accents might work better.

Rob,
You right that the holly isn't a true white. I used it because I wanted to keep largely wood accents to go with maple blanks. For my next design I am going to use some acrylics. I bought a burgundy acrylic blank from Bear Tooth Woods that is really nice. Woodcraft also has the same blank. I am still working on finding a good white blank to go with it. I bought some alternative irovy but I think it is too yellow.

Thanks again for all the encouraging comments.

Take Care,
Wendell

Verne

Nice job Wendall.
Would a bleached antler work? Or maybe some white Corian.
The Aggies I know would just as soon have a bag or sawdust with a refill sticking out of it.[}:)]made me say it!
Vern

Carlos

Wendell,

That is an awesome pen and I have seen the finish you put on your pens in person, they are really nice !!

Wendell is a nice guy and a good friend !

- Carlos

MarkHix

Beautiful pen. Where did you find the blank?

As a proud member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 1985, I made a list of those of you who posted less than flattering comments out the Chosen People. We will find you!

Top Bottom