Proof Positive!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

Not all ideas are good ones. Recently a friend on here helped me order closed end mandrels. I thought I'd try out the 7mm one on a pen to leave laying around the house for noteing random stuff. I had a ratty piece of olive so I used it up here. Found a CB from an old Mont Blanc kit when I went looking for the Slim parts and after seeing a pen posted by its-virgil I decided to use it too.
%2311032_Slimline-closed-end_Gold_Olive.jpg

Not exactly the way I had pictured it but it's a start (seeing nobody will ever see it - sort of:biggrin:). Aside from providing valuable info on what not to do in pen design it gave me practice on damage control. Since I really like the smell of olive wood I didn't want to coat it with any finish. This left the problem of the many flaws in the blank.
Burn-In-Repair-2.jpg

I was able to come up with an odourless patch for the major flaw, burn-in stick. Worked great and doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of that olive smell. However on close inspection it looks like I missed that little flaw.

Hopefully my next project will turn out a little better. Here's a teaser shot of the one piece click cigars I'm working on. Also playing with a little hand carving on these blanks. These are the starting samples in white oak.

White-Oak-Carving.jpg

Got a ways to go to before I've got this right. Thanks for looking and all comments and suggestions are welcome, good and bad.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi Larry,

I always enjoy seeing your pens. I have many of the closed end mandrels, I have used them as well for many turning applications, not exclusively for pens.

Will you be at the KW show?

Rick_G

Nice idea Larry, not sure about that CB on that slim though. :) Where did the click cigars come from, I've seen them on here but not for sale anywhere yet?

ctubbs

Great first closed pen, Larry. I am proud for you, moving on to an entirely new process. I like the CB on the 7MM, it gives a break to the long expanse of wood and the 'finish' on olive is awesome.
Charles

Answers!

i think that's pretty sweet actually, but..... What's a burn in stick and how's it work???
Thanks Dale. Burn-in is a solid shellac stick which comes in many wood colours, usually used to repair furniture. Basically you melt the stick with a hot knife and apply the molten shellac to the flaw. It cools and hardens very quickly and can be sanded and finished if you want. See:
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20071&cat=1,190,42997,42999

Hi Larry,

I always enjoy seeing your pens. I have many of the closed end mandrels, I have used them as well for many turning applications, not exclusively for pens.

Will you be at the KW show?

Thanks Jim. Sorry, I don't think I can make it. It is my favorite show, what with the National Bird Carving Show and all the other great stuff.

Nice idea Larry, not sure about that CB on that slim though. :) Where did the click cigars come from, I've seen them on here but not for sale anywhere yet?

Hi Rick. I really don't like that CB! The click cigars came from PSI, I also got some from Wood Safari. BTW, that piece of carved white oak is from you. Thank you sir!

Great first closed pen, Larry. I am proud for you, moving on to an entirely new process. I like the CB on the 7MM, it gives a break to the long expanse of wood and the 'finish' on olive is awesome.
Charles

Thanks Charlie, but I fear the pen looks far better in the picture than it really is. There is no finish on the olive. I use ren wax only because after the solvent evaporates it no longer has any odour and doesn't interfere with the wonderful olive smell.

Oh, and thanks Bob as well.

Rick_G

Hi Rick. I really don't like that CB! The click cigars came from PSI, I also got some from Wood Safari. BTW, that piece of carved white oak is from you. Thank you sir!

Thanks Larry, got a cheque in the mail today from a woman in Chatham who writes quite a few letters to go with the pens I send Jim. It was to get some more pen kits so that style might be a good one to try. Looks like you are going to make that piece of white oak look a lot better than I could. Hope there was more that nice in the box.

darrin1200

Nice closed end Larry, but I have to agree that I don't like the CB. It makes it seem off ballance.
Did you do those notches in the cigar with your dremel router set up?

Those laquer sticks look cool. I definitely have to get me a set of those. I already have some inlay ideas floating in my brain. All I can do is think about it though with the shop all packed up waiting for the movers. I havn't actually turned or worked with a piece of wood since Christmas. I think the DT's are setting in.

its_virgil

Hi Larry,
I like what you did with the pen but that center band is not a favorite one ...even on the pen that is supposed to use it. Its something about that black ring. I do wish the americana flat top had a nicer centerband. But, I do like the design of this pen...way to go on the closed end part...they are fun to make.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom