Proof Maybe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

I assembled the second in this series and am pleased so far. Still room for improvement but at least now I know which direction to take.
The starting point is the PSI Click Cigar kits. Because of the rustic look I'm seeking I chose oak for the barrel material. For those familiar with furniture styles think William and Mary style.
The first one is just a test run on the One Piece concept with this kit.
This is a 24K Gold Click Cigar kit with a one piece Chinkapin Oak barrel:
1__11026_Cigar-Click_Gold_Onepiece_Chinkapin-Oak.jpg

This seems to work fairly well, the tubing is a little long so I'll adjust that in the future. Now with the figured oak barrel I can add some carving. This is inspired by the work of Robert Bagley. There's room for improvement, for instance the major diameter should be a little bigger and other enhancements. These will be incorporated in the next pens in this series.
Gunmetal Cigar Click pen with one piece figured White Oak hand carved barrel:
1__11027_Cigar-Click_Gunmetal-Black-Enamel_White-Oak_1.jpg

1__11027_Cigar-Click_Gunmetal-Black-Enamel_White-Oak_2.jpg

I purposely left the course grain and worm holes which add to the rustic look of this style. The carving was all done with a hand held Fordom Micro Motor tool and cleaned with grobet files. The finish is polyurethane glazed with burnt umber tinted glaze to highlight the carving. The gloss is a little bit much so I'll have to adust that as well in future pens.
Thanks for looking and all comments are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

Oh Man! I love both of them, but the carved pen is over the top. I didn't think you could make white oak look good on a pen, but you totally proved me wrong.

Great Job!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

ctubbs

Hey Larry, seeing your pens has always been a pleasant experience, but with these new pen styles, well, I guess I'll just have to move you up another notch. Great work. The 24 K Gold / oak is beautiful, but the white oak is just plain outstanding. I, however, do have to disagree with you on the shine, your finish is right on, in my nsho.
Charles

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure if anyone would like this approach. Kind of against the grain, what with all the casting and lazer precision work. It might be too far retro.
I appreciate the support and will continue down this road.

Top Bottom