Proof of Concept - "Windows 1.0"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from davinci27

davinci27

One more then I'm going to let the soyp have a rest from me. You can disregard fit and finish on this one. I didn't put much effort into finishing it, I was just trying to prove an idea I had would work. This is just a proof of concept, but I was wondering if anybody else had tried this and if so could they offer some suggestions on possible problems.

The slots cut into the bottom barrel are actually windows that look through to the inside pen. When you open and close the pen, you can see the grain of the inside move with the twist. I've posted a very blurry video, but you can just make out the grain pattern moving through the slots. (http://www.artturned.com/poc.avi) If anybody's actually interested, I'll try to setup the actual video camera and get a better shot.

I'm going to do some more of these, with bigger openings. I'm going to try to turn the lower sleeve a little thinner so there isn't as big an offset between the inside and out side, and I'd also like to try filling the openings with resin or epoxy or something else.

Attachments

• poc1.jpg
    poc1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 340
  • poc2.jpg
    poc2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 236
  • poc3.jpg
    poc3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 242
  • poc4.jpg
    poc4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 301
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

davinci27

Steve's pen is what gave me the idea to try it. Unfortunately I haven't built up the skill to try the actual lattice pattern yet.

On a side note, I'm trying to figure out how to fill the spaces. If anybody has any ideas let me know. I tried casting in PR, but the little windows pulled out. I was thinking of trying epoxy, but don't know how clear that would be. I also thought about drilling the hole a little oversized then casting it in resin. This would leave a thin layer of PR on the inside of the blank that is actually attached to the windows.

Still thinking it through.

Skye

I would actually leave them open. I would, however, sand the rough edges down.

I think the less there is between you and the contrasting wood, the better. I think the bullet window pens would lose something with a pane of clear over it and think this would be the same way.

workinforwood

It's a cool pen Ben. You should see if you can find or someone else can find the pen with the large winows in the cap section and no brass. I think it's one of Lou's pens. A real challenge for you.

Top Bottom