Proof of concept - anodised butterflies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Soooo, in light of Marshall anodising his first pen (which looks fantastic by the way) i thought i would raise the bar a notch with this :tongue:

ok, ok its not a pen as it stands. I wanted to get my method correct and it took quite a bit of experimenting to get three different dyes onto one anodised layer, but im happy with the process - and il move on to applying this method to a finished aluminium pen.

I intend of making a jr gent in this style, and once i do this il release a video on how its done step by step

you can see the blacks surface finish is not great - complete with chip in the layer. It was not the intention of this experiment to get a nice smooth black finish - it was to suss these butterflies :biggrin:

577488_289168054508201_117699231655085_649445_1663475889_n.jpg

305554_289168104508196_117699231655085_649447_520274062_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The Penguin

cool concept - I had no idea you could anodize distinct patterns in multiple colors like that. I've seen swirly anodizing before.

almost looks like the red butterflies are outlined in gold.

BradG

cool concept - I had no idea you could anodize distinct patterns in multiple colors like that. I've seen swirly anodizing before.

almost looks like the red butterflies are outlined in gold.

Yes quite prominently in person outlined in gold, though not intentionally. i could hazard a guess how it happened. somethings occured with my red dye too... gone a bit jellyfied, and some got on my trousers. melted a hole straight through them and welded the material to my skin! pretty vicious. jumped straight in shower and neutralised burn with alkali.

Brad, Marshall and I were just talking about multple color anodizing.

it opens up ALOT of doors... with logo's , text, patterns etc... sure beats engraving though is a little tricky process

Mapster

Well Brad, you have raised the bar high enough it gives the rest of us something to shoot for! That is a very cool proof of concept, and I can see you doing some cool stuff with that for sure. Now we are just going to have to figure out how to reach that bar, sounds hard! :biggrin:

BradG

Okay, that is very cool... Butterflies aside:biggrin: Well done!

Mike

Yes i did pull a face while doing butterflies... but was an easy choice

Way cool Brad. Looking forward to the rest of this venture.
likewise. will require a little investment i think in a new machine, but im always game for that

Talk about suffering for your art...

Gorgeous work with the butterflies! Love the multicolor anodizing!

I was impressed with the speed it happened if im honest lol

Brad,

Quite a metamorphis, complete with safety warning.

I like your enlarged concept it has merit thanks for sharing.

Kind regards Peter.

Thanks Peter

Well Brad, you have raised the bar high enough it gives the rest of us something to shoot for! That is a very cool proof of concept, and I can see you doing some cool stuff with that for sure. Now we are just going to have to figure out how to reach that bar, sounds hard! :biggrin:

Im sure the one colour will keep you entertained for quite a while, giving me a chance to perfect this method.. then il show you what aproach is working for me

BradG

I was impressed myself John after i uncovered it at the end.. was half expecting one of the butterflies colours to of run into another.

And Jonathan, showoff? thats rich coming from the maker of those brooks blanks lol

Top Bottom