Proof of concept

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bjackman

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjackman

This was my next step for me in a closed end/recessed clip pen.
Probably the best photo I can get,(gotta get a tent made.)
Comments always welcome.
Chrome Baron with black dyed curly poplar.

20066513652_black%20dyed%20baron%20sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Exceptionally nice work. I would recommend either doing away with the CB entirely or at least making it smaller which is easy with the Baron.

BigRob777

Bill,
Very nice. The clip entry is spectacular. I'm getting ready to get a bunch of maple burl and curly maple dyed, but not black, this time. I hope it turns out this well.
Rob

bjackman

Thanks all for the comments!!

ken, cory, wiahman & jim, thanks for looking and commenting!

Jim in Oakville, Whatcha wanna know?? I don't keep many penturning secrets. [;)]

gerryr, I agree that the look of the CB might be improved on this one. Unfortunately, on this blank I was already fighting with length issues. It barely fit as it was with almost nothing taken off either end, so I couldn't really loose any addl space in the middle and needed the full length the CB gave me. Thanks for your constructive look!

Rob, The recessed clip on a baron kit in "reasonably stock" dimensions was really what I was trying to accomplish with this, and quite a bit of effort was made to keep the clip entry clean, with as little excess or "slop" as possible. Can and will continue improving, but it's fun to see it can be done! (btw, the blank came from BB)

bjackman

Jim,
This was a variation of the "hook" method I used for a recessed clip perfect fit I posted a couple weeks back. Here is a photo of that pen prior to assembly, you can see how I made the "tang" portion of the clip into a hook that can be snaked into the slot. http://tinyurl.com/nkm94
It turned out much more difficult on the baron than I had anticipated, as the ring on the clip is a lot more narrow than on the PF. Next in line in the "just to see if I can do it" group is the Gman/Statesman style. I'm sure I'll find similar challenges, as it's really just a larger version. I anticipate easier success with El Grande kits, due to the nature of the clip tang, similar to the PF.

Mike, thanks for the comments. Taken as high praise coming from you. [:)]
And as I said with the last pen I posted, yourself and Russ get all or most of the credit for the basic idea, all I did was add a slight change to your method, so thanks go out to the two of you. [:D]

JimGo

Thanks Bill! I had been wondering if something like that was possible. I'm glad you tried it before me, though! [:D]

bjackman

Travis,
My method is only a slight modification of what Russ and Vick (Mike) began.

http://tinyurl.com/pdp3s

here is a link to a tutorial Mike made up.

My "hook" modification may make it possible to recess a clip in kits that wouldn't really work before, like this baron and the PF already shown. I have a Gent and El Grande in process now, but nowhere near finished. Should be "possible" with just about any kit out there.
One difference on this particular pen, but I didn't keep/take any photos prior to assembly, was the use of a section of a dowel as a plug to press through the cap tube to aid the epoxy in holding the clip in place. could have turned off the top portion of the finial, but this worked out easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom