Proof

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RussFairfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
It has been so long since I posted a picture of a pen, I thought I should prove that I really can make one of them.

This photo should also show why Spalted Holly continues to be my favorite wood. The wood is cross grain to the axis of the pen, and stabilized with thin CA glue after if was getting close to finished size. The finish is CA glue, topped with a friction polish..

2005926184626_DSC01006E.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Very nice pen!

One question Russ...why did you have to top the CA with friction polish? Reason I asked is, I've been staying away from friction polish for a while now (due to so-so durability) and here you are (the person I first learned pen turning from - without you knowing it probably)...using a FP on CA. I must have missed something big.

vick

As always Russ beautiful. I do not thnik anyone was doubting that you knew how to make a pen. Maybe they would doubt if you knew how to post a picture.[}:)]

JimGo

I like that shape Russ! I may have to borrow that one. Very nice pen!

As an aside, thank you VERY much for all the information on your site, and the feedback you provide here. It has proven invaluable to me and many others!

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I know it might sound contrary to use a Friction Polish over a high gloss CA finish. I use the friction polish over the CA finish to protect it from handling and abrasion before it is sold. These are the same reasons others would use a wax. TI prefer the friction polish because it has a higher gloss, it is more durable, it lasts longer, and it requires less maintenance than a wax. The shellac coating has a warmer "feel" about it than the CA finish when a prospective customer picks it up, but there is still that hard glossy CA finish under it when it wears off.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Spalted anything is great!(Unless you are cutting firewood---Bad indicator of future warmth)
I love the lowly slimline especially when it is done justice as you ave done here,
O.K. Now that I have read your reason for the friction polish, I still have a question.
How much friction do you use?
Heat being the enemy of CA, and from all accounts I have read about applying friction polish you should have a blister on your finger when youy are through with it,
Would not the application of a friction polish with heat Damage the CA finish, or did I just apply too much "friction"?
You may have guessed I tried this once.(and only once)
Hey, have you heard about TSW?[:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The rules for using the Fiction Polish still apply, very little of the liquid polish, 4 drops is plenty, and getting it hot enough to be uncomfortable. I have yet to scorch the CA under it, but I can imagine that it would be possible to get it hot enough to do that if I were to wear protection on my finger.

The highest temperature that we can old our finger continuously on a hot surface is 126-130F, and that should be well below the temperature that will damage the CA glue. If you had a problem with the CA, I would suspect that the CA wasn't cured, or you just had bad luck with it.

Yes, I have heard of TSW. Regardless of how good it is, it is still a wax, and shellac is still harder than wax. This gets down to a matter of preferences. Some like wax. I like shellac.

Except for the fountain pens, I use nothing but the StreamLine SlimLine from Berea. It is the same as the SlimLine except for the clip, top finial, and a larger center-band that I never use. I think the kit is worth the extra $2 just for the clip and finial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom