Pronghorn Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

And a 30-06 rifle decal on a piece of birds-eye maple cast in polyester resin. Sanded to 400x, buffed with super fine steel wool and polished with Huts Ultra Gloss.

I'm still experimenting with decals.
The rifles on the next ones I am doing will have a larger rifle to be more in proportion with the Pronghorn head.

Pronghorn30-06Sierra.jpg

30-06PronghornSierra.jpg

Les

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

I do like the pronghorn. I do not believe Ive seen it on a pen before. Yep, the rifle needs to be about .5 times larger. Good work as usual.

kennicka

My Dad has a mounted antelope, and I was wondering if I could get the horns. Anyone turned a pronghorn pen?

I might be wrong, but I think Antelope horns are hollow. Not sure if they are thick enough to get a blank.

Hopefully someone else has a more definitive answer for you.

Good Luck!

Tony

BSea

My Dad has a mounted antelope, and I was wondering if I could get the horns. Anyone turned a pronghorn pen?

I might be wrong, but I think Antelope horns are hollow. Not sure if they are thick enough to get a blank.

Hopefully someone else has a more definitive answer for you.

Good Luck!

Tony
Well, I doubt I'll get the chance. He's had it for 50+ years. And you are probably right about them being hollow. I guess if I want something like that, I could use water buffalo. But I hate the smell of antler, and I guess this or WB would be just as bad.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
The "horns" are hollow on the inside except the tips, I have tried unsuccessfully to find ones that have enough solid material to drill and tube. I have successfully made "worthless horn" castings from it though. I have also done the same with Bighorn Sheep. If you think antler smell is bad, trust me, horns are worse.

Last edited:

Penl8the

Very nice Les. Nothing wrong with the decal from here. Would like to see it in person some this weekend if you have time to meet.

Top Bottom