In progress - ( Done )

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
To boldy go where no pen...

Hi all,
Here's themed pen and stand that I'm working on. But I could use a suggestion or two on how to support the pen directly from the base ( not with the wire )

For those that recognise the styling, its based loosely on NCC - 1701:wink:
It has an authentic ST Dilithium Crystal in the cap finial, courtesy of the Princess:biggrin:

I'm thinking along the lines of a clear bent piece of acrylic like in the drawing, but I'm undecided:confused:

Watcha reckon Mr Spock?:biggrin:

Edit; Changed pics to show it completed with the engraving and the pic of the prop where I got the idea from

Attachments

• ST.jpg
    ST.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 443
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 223
  • ST3.jpg
    ST3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 191
  • NCC1701.JPG
    NCC1701.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenAffair

Why curve the acrylic? A straight piece like your front elevation, with a small arc for a holding platform at the top could sort of resemble a transporter beam in operation :)

Russell.

Ligget

Bin the bloody thing! :clown::rotfl: Only joking Steve, straight acrylic similar to first picture would be my 2 pence worth of useless advice! Fantastic looking pen etc etc etc....:biggrin:

TurnaPen

Steve, the suggestion of air for levitation may have been given in levity, but it is not such a bad idea and worth trying, I know you would be capable to do such a thing, and it would then get us all going trying air levitation.
Your idea if a straight piece of acrylic would look ok but nothing out of the ordinary, the curved support would add character, maybe stainles steel rod bent to shape.
The end of the pen on the left of the picture looks like the mouth piece of a flute, a series of holes filled with cyrstals in one line on the top would make it uniquely flute like pen. Amos

altaciii

I agree with the straight piece of acrylic. I'm a little jealous about the crystal though. Beautiful pen by the way but what we have always come to expect from a craftsman like you. Great job.

Chief Hill

You could consider one of those magnetic devices where the pen would be suspended between the two points like these:

http://acmepen.manufacturer.globals...254/pdtl/Pen-holder/1003934341/Pen-Holder.htm

or

http://acmepen.manufacturer.globals...801254/pdtl/Pen-set/1003590812/Pen-Holder.htm

Of course it will be a work of art when you make it.

Jim Smith

Jims Idea actually is really good. if you can get it all set up but having it float. wow that would be cool.
Rare earth magnets are REALLY powerfull if you can get them and would make that thing "hover like crazy"

I don't know otherwise WHAT WOULD SCOTTY FROM STAR TREK DO???? Damit where is Scotty when we need him?
I just want to know what a pen like this would go for in an actual trekkie convention with OOBER Trekkie Geeks. The ones that LIVE AND DIE for this show. THE SKY IS THE LIMIT. HUGE $$$$$.....

workinforwood

I think the 1st picture looks great. The straight angle down just like the actual ship has, it angles down and back to the engine. Not acrylic though. It should be stainless steel turned off center twice so that it has a smooth arc on each side, then you turn it on center to remove the sharp points. You then cut it on an angle. Then, the upper flat surface is ground in to profile the pen and a magnet is inset so the pen can't slide off the top of the base. Make any sense?

Pen looks wicked cool btw..good work Steve!

GoodTurns

clear acrylic with a small blue light embedded in the base (shooting up into the acrylic) to complete the transporter beam idea.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
its based loosely on NCC - 1701:wink:
It has an authentic ST Dilithium Crystal in the cap finial,

Oh, no you didn't..:eek:

One thought that came to mind is the docking pylons they use in the shows.
There's usually some sort of arm that comes out to meet the ship and it
holds it in place when they're docked. found a few photos online.

Magnets sound good.. shouldn't be TOO difficult to embed one in the
center area of the pen..

I think there's a secret Trekkie waiting to come out and play..

Attachments

• ds9-net.jpg
    ds9-net.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 124
  • wm_DS9_DockingPylon.jpg
    wm_DS9_DockingPylon.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Galaxy_class_docked_at_DS9.jpg
    Galaxy_class_docked_at_DS9.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Many thanks for the great suggestions, but some of them were a bit beyond my capabilities. I eventually settled for something simpler:redface:. Bit like Chuckie suggested:wink:
I remembered that Charlie ( New London ) gave me some translucent acrylic sheets and so cut one up and bent it a bit.
I'm not sure if I'll get it engraved with the numbers, but maybe the red stripe:confused:. It might be a bit OTT.

Charlie, the crystal is loose inside the domed cap finial, not cast. I also used a very tiny bit of your red translucent PR to give it a red tint:biggrin:
Did I commit a Trekkie Cardinal Sin? :eek::biggrin:

Attachments

• ST1.jpg
    ST1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 153
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 144
  • ST3.jpg
    ST3.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 133

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'm not sure if I'll get it engraved with the numbers, but maybe the red stripe:confused:. It might be a bit OTT.

Charlie, the crystal is loose inside the domed cap finial, not cast. I also used a very tiny bit of your red translucent PR to give it a red tint:biggrin:

I don't think that would be OTT at all.. especially if this is for sale.
With Trek people, I don't think there is any such thing as OTT. :tongue:

I think the red tint works well.. The newer shows have blue nacelles, but
the old series (the only real series .. ahem ..) the ships had red nacelles.
Most importantly, the NCC 1701 had red ones, so you're safe.

Personally, I think the red stripe and numbers would double the value
to a collector.

keithkarl2007

Many thanks for the great suggestions, but some of them were a bit beyond my capabilities. I eventually settled for something simpler:redface:. Bit like Chuckie suggested:wink:
I remembered that Charlie ( New London ) gave me some translucent acrylic sheets and so cut one up and bent it a bit.

Looks pretty cool, kinda reminds me of a flute or a tin whistle

VisExp

I have to say I think the blue tint of the stand detracts from the pen. I love the shape of it and how it supports the badge thing and the pen, just not wild about the color of the stand. I'm not a Trekkie, so maybe the blue tint has some significance. The pen looks awesome. Great work as usual Steven.

This may be completely diffferent from what you want but I have to throw it our there. What if the center star (best description I had) protruded from the original design. The pen would sit on the piece that protruded. It might tie everything together and hide the actual holder since it is a design feature. From the front it would look like star, pen, then larger design. Hard to describe, but most of the stuff in my head is :confused:.Just a thought!

Awesome pen!

Last edited:

PR_Princess

Oh my gosh! Another "Trekkie" pen! I love the way you finished it! Your the best!

I sure can't argue with that CSue! :biggrin:

Beautiful Steven! Your work is top notch, and this is so wonderfully appropriate! I never would have thought of the nacelle!! What a great tribute to "The Great Bird of the Galaxy"!

Now if I could just figure out some sort of joint custody arrangement with Charlie...

lsvader.gif

Top Bottom