Professor with unknown wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RogerC

RogerC

I've gotten a gig to turn pens for a local business to sell on his site. He's a good friend of mine and does a lot of work for me with his CNC laser (he's the guy who engraved the M3 on my last pen). Anyway, he's buying all the kits and wood and paying me a flat rate per pen.

I turned this one for him last night. I don't know what the wood is, but it's very, very light. As a matter of fact, I was worried that it would disintegrate when I turned it. But I took my time and didn't have any issues other than a tiny blowout on one end. It stabilized fine with the CA finish, though, and then I hid it under the clip :biggrin:

Finished with CA polished to 12000 Micromesh. I didn't use the plastic polish because I thought and ultra glossy finish would take away from the wood.

37045253721_3d689329f3_b.jpg

And since it looks like I'll be doing a lot more turning, I obviously want to make improvements where I can, so I've ordered a few things from Rick to help give me better fit and finish. Can't wait for the new toy... I mean tools... to come in.

Last edited:

robutacion

Well done mate...!

If I'm correct, the blanks have come from my "stables" and it is a #65 Sugar gum spalted, reason it was soft, I have no idea how it got to you but, it's fine by me...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

randyrls

GREAT GRAIN!!!! That grain pattern is stunning. I'm not a fan of the ultra glossy look either, on wood pens I normally sand to 1000 grit and then hit the blank with 0000 steel wool. It gives a nice sheen, and the wood doesn't look like it has any finish at all. The pen feels in the hand like wood.

RogerC

Well done mate...!

If I'm correct, the blanks have come from my "stables" and it is a #65 Sugar gum spalted, reason it was soft, I have no idea how it got to you but, it's fine by me...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George
I do know he bought the blanks from Signature Pen Supply.

GREAT GRAIN!!!! That grain pattern is stunning. I'm not a fan of the ultra glossy look either, on wood pens I normally sand to 1000 grit and then hit the blank with 0000 steel wool. It gives a nice sheen, and the wood doesn't look like it has any finish at all. The pen feels in the hand like wood.
Yeah, depending on other factors (kit finish, etc), I do like to go ultra glossy on some, but this one really didn't call for it.

Top Bottom