A productive day

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hilltopper46

hilltopper46

The Saturday before Christmas turned out to be quite productive. The best part is that every one of these pens was started some time (months or a year or more) and then put on hold because some problem came up.
The first one to show is a Eagle V pen in amboyna burl. This one of two pens of this style that were started over a year ago, but when I ran into a problem laid the pen aside. On both of these the barrel material had "blown up" on the lathe. One I had turned the remaining material off at the time and had the brass tube lying there, and on the other, the blown out blank was still on the tube. I mounted that tube on the lathe and quickly removed the remaining material. I then picked out the correct material for both pens and drilled and glued the blanks onto the tubes.

Pen727.JPG

The second is a Desert IronWood pen.

Pen729.JPG

The third pen had been glued up for some months (presumably since the others had been glued up). Unfortunately I cannot remember what this wood is. I think it is an Australian Burl. It has large cracks in it that needed to be filled. On this pen I simply filled them with superglue - with mixed results. However, it is certainly a striking pen as the grain of the wood is accented by the shape of the cracks, and the filling shows that shape very well (better in person than in the picture).

Pen728.JPG

This last pen had been cut and drilled, and I had inserted a tube of the incorrect diameter into at least one of the blanks. I decided to drill the tubes out of both blanks and start over. This actually worked out very well. By the end of the day I had completed this cocobolo pen in a modified Ursa style.

Pen730.JPG

The best part of the day is that a little bit of the workbench has been (constructively) cleaned off.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I really like the first two as my favorites. Really nice looking finish on them as well. Cool that you came back and finished these.

hilltopper46

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.

I have looked into making the executives for awhile. They look nice! You should contact whoever is in charge of the library, and tell them your bushing sizes for the executive. It's a missing cell in the pen dimensions spreadsheet

I'll do that - good catch!

Great looking pens. Might the australian burl be red mallee?

Very possibly so. Thanks for the suggestion.

Top Bottom