Probably time for new bushings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

217738_159954717397935_100001502242963_351747_730003_n.jpg

I just wanted something I knew would look decent coming out of the gate and figured I'd try another fatty Slim without the usual centerband shenanigans. (Or is it Monkeyshines?) Either way, I'm finding more and more of a trend of nibs not quite matching up to what feels like a good fit on the lathe. I think I have ruined the bushings I learned on in my early attempts to stop making them proud of the nib. Still happy with the overall pen and at least I didn't run into this issue on a pen I was comissioned for. I do have a couple of new bushings to boot, so at least I learned something, which is the most important part of the recreational turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What is good is that you are seeing your own flaws. It is one thing to come and post a photo and everyone oos and ahhhs. But you know of the flaws and you know what it would take to correct them. I am not a fan of the slim line kits at all so I won't comment on the appearance but I do like your approach to trying new things with the kit and learning as you go. It shows you want to step up to better quality kits and also be more creative. Now there at times of being a thin line of being overly creative and just ruining the kit's lines and looks. I see some people just ignore the natural lines of a kit and put huge bulges in the blanks trying to be creative and it just does not look right.

Each kit has a personality so to speak and a set of gentle curves or lines that when a turner adds the blank he or she should try to enhance those lines or personality and not try to show off their own personality. Not sure if this makes sense but that is what I see with new turners.

Good luck and keep expanding the ideas.

Lenny

I would highly recommend a pair of digital calipers if you don't already have some! I can't imagine trying to turn pens (or keep track of loose bushings) without them. :)

Drstrangefart

What is good is that you are seeing your own flaws. It is one thing to come and post a photo and everyone oos and ahhhs. But you know of the flaws and you know what it would take to correct them. I am not a fan of the slim line kits at all so I won't comment on the appearance but I do like your approach to trying new things with the kit and learning as you go. It shows you want to step up to better quality kits and also be more creative. Now there at times of being a thin line of being overly creative and just ruining the kit's lines and looks. I see some people just ignore the natural lines of a kit and put huge bulges in the blanks trying to be creative and it just does not look right.
Ii
Each kit has a personality so to speak and a set of gentle curves or lines that when a turner adds the blank he or she should try to enhance those lines or personality and not try to show off their own personality. Not sure if this makes sense but that is what I see with new turners.

Good luck and keep expanding the ideas.

Much appreciated. The line between creative and excessive is one I try to walk. I do eant to do nicer kits, but a lack of funds is currently holding me back. I like the forgiving nature of slimlines, but it is getting hard to find more new stuff to do with them.

KenV

Good experiment -- Caliper or micrometer are great. I tend towards the dial calipers vs digital, but that is a style and battery thing.

I dislike the slimline center bands so applaude you leaving it out. Look a your pattern match at the midline and the transitions, especially from the nib to be places to improve your lines and flow.

It is a difficult journey from a pretty good pen to a really excellent pen to the outstanding pen -- you appear to be on that path and I wish you every success

ghostrider

I've come to rely on the digital calipers. I also found that I like to go just slightly below the bushings to compensate for the CA. I eventually made my own bushings and mainly use those now.

ETA:

I too am not the biggest fan of the slimline CB. Sometimes it matches the pen, sometimes the pen is better without. Since IMHO it's main drawback is being so thin, it's easily compensated for by going with the comfort of Streamline (or whatever that company is calling it).

Last edited:

toddlajoie

One thing I've done when the blank ends up a bit below the nib is put some adhesive sandpaper on the back side of the pen mill head and reverse the head. Then sand back the tube a bit and measue (calipers again... They keep finding use) and repeat until you get back to whee you need to be. You're design should work fine for this (good taper) and you will never notice the 1/16th or so you take off.

Drstrangefart

One thing I've done when the blank ends up a bit below the nib is put some adhesive sandpaper on the back side of the pen mill head and reverse the head. Then sand back the tube a bit and measue (calipers again... They keep finding use) and repeat until you get back to whee you need to be. You're design should work fine for this (good taper) and you will never notice the 1/16th or so you take off.

You should be working at NASA. Love it.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
In a situation like that I have foun that if I can take the nib off and sand the nib end down to the diameter of the finished pen It has worked for me.........

bitshird

BUT don't forget the Calipers, Dial are better, but digitals are pretty cheap at HF. in fact so are their Dial Calipers, The nice thing about HF Calipers, "you don't feel all that bad when you drop them on the floor or toss a block of wood on them. If I did that with my Browne and Sharp I'd get a very sickening feeling.

firewhatfire

ok let me just ask for my own clarification about no center band. You are basically just leving the centerband off of it. Is that how it works or do you cut your own tubes to make up width of the centerband?

Phil

Top Bottom