Prickly pear cactus pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I got a wild idea a few weeks ago to try to use some prickly pear cactus to make a pen. I took the internal skeleton of the cactus and poured it full of epoxy dyed with Transtint dye. I tried using PR for the first time but evidently it is not compatible with Transtint since it did not even begin to set up even after 1 week.

Anyway, I thought the came out pretty cool and it was fun thinking outside the box!

The prop in the first pic is a piece of the cactus skeleton after it is cleaned up and dried.

PricklyPearblue2.jpg

This is a quick scan to please excuse the lousy quality.
PricklyPear.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

WOW, those are cool! I just threw away a cactus I had hoped to make a pen out of because the inside was too squishy...never thought about using epoxy or casting it in PR! Duh!

elody21

That is really Wild!! Great idea! I love them! Did you have problems getting the epoxy to come to a high gloss? The reason I ask is I have tried to use black epoxy to fill air bubbles in black resin and the spots will not shine. elody21 - Alice

PenWorks

Great looking pens and terrific design [:0]
What part of the prickly pear is that ?
The leaf, branch or root?
I have cut saguaro, ocotillo and jumping cactus,
but never seen prickly pear like that.

Deere41h

Those are really neat. I would love to hear more about your process. Have you tried it with tinted PR? Did you wrap the cactus around the tube and then add the epoxy or did you make a blank and drill it to add the tube? I like the outcome. Thanks for sharing them with us. Gives a lot of us new ideas.

guts

looks like you got a lot of folks wondering how it the world you did that including me,all i know about the pears is don't touch them without gloves on.[:)]

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I am going to post a quick run-down on the penturning section on how I make these pens. I figure more people may see it there.

airrat

Curtis you have definetly "stepped outside of the box". FANTASTIC!! work.

I dont have the ability for your process. If you plan on selling some blanks I would be interested.

gerryr

Those are great!!!! I have prickly pear growing around here and even straight Roundup will not kill it.[:0] Now I know what I can do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom