Priceless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Steve Busey

Steve Busey

This one was a long time coming... a few of Constant's Aviator Wing blanks.

Decided I just wanted to touch it up with the skew so it would fit in my collet chuck for end trimming, and completely trashed the wings: $25
O_22 (Medium).JPG

Second attempt: skipped the chuck and finished it up - only to notice I cut too deep and lost much of the "detail" lines in the wings -AFTER I'd finished it... - $25
O_24 (Medium).JPG

Third attempt - skipped the chuck AND didn't cut too deep: PRICELESS!
O_32 (Medium).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Nice looking pen.

I am having the same problem with a pen I am making for my Surgeon using the kit with the medical symbol. On my forth try and I am using 240 grit sanding strip and will taper it so as not to loose the detail in the wings. The skew just love to chew it up. The skew is sharp but the wood is soft and it's easy to loose the detail.

jttheclockman

Actually this is perfect timing and good info. Not so good for you guys but I am attempting my first laser kit and just got finished gluing it up. Learned some lessons there right away. Don't glue tube in before you set all the pieces. Glue tube in last.:frown:

Now for the turning part. Hope to get to it this weekend. I may just sand the whole thing down to shape. I was going to use the skew but now I am scared.:eek:

Steve Busey

Now for the turning part. Hope to get to it this weekend. I may just sand the whole thing down to shape. I was going to use the skew but now I am scared.:eek:

John,

I'd suggest using some dark sawdust, rubbing it into the gaps, then give the blank a good coating of thin CA. Use sandpaper to "knock the edges down", then the skew should work OK, although I ended up using a carbide cutter (ie-Woodchuck). Hit it with more CA if you get worried. LIGHT touch, high speed.

Top Bottom