Pressure Cast Wormy Box Elder Burl Carbera

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlkuehn

Banned
Finally got back on the lathe!

Turned my first pen from the blanks I made the other night with my new HF pressure/vac pot setup.

The kit is a black chrome Carbera, the resin is my little home-brew using clear casting resin with 5 colors of micro-milled mica pearl pigments.

Here's the wood prior to casting, after casting, and the first finished pen, which is from the piece of wood on the far right in the first picture:

001.jpg

004.jpg

BoxElderWormy1_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Great save and excellent pen from the salvaged wood. See, they really ain't no such thing as a busted blank after all!

Almost forgot to ask ya, where did you get the micro-milled mica pearl pigments that you used and what resin? [:D]

karlkuehn

Banned
Strangely enough, I got the pearl powders from Micheals (or A.C. Moore, I get them mixed up they're both in the same shopping center here...). That's where I got the casting resin, too (Castin' Craft clear PR).

I've got some Alumilite waterclear resin sitting here, but I wanted to use up the cheapie stuff I got for the learning curve.

Here's a link to the pearl powder stuff that I bought. You can usually find a good sale, so it's cheap:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=pc0006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom