Pressure cast Algarita Root

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MesquiteMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
It has been a LONG time since I have taken out the photo tent and took any pictures. Well this evening I finally got around to it and here is the first pic I want to share with you guys.

It is piece of Algarita root that had a lot of missing wood due to dirt and such. I pressure cast the blank with magenta dyed Alumilite with a little silver metal powder to add some depth.

200772655333_Algarita_purple1.jpg

200772655357_Algarita_Purple2.jpg

200772655420_algarita_purple3.jpg

I have written a tutorial on the process that I use and will be sharing it here for all as soon as I have time to make the final edits.

For those who are not familiar with Algarita...it is a bush that grows in Central Texas that is in the barberry family. It only gets 3' tall or so on the largest bushes and really does not have much useful wood for even penturning. It certainly is not available commercially as pen blanks due to the very poor yield. It is a wonderful bright yellow color with a very unique grain structure.

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

Curtis, that is outstanding. Of course the combo of purple and gold is always a favorite [:D]. Great pen, photo, idea and finish.

KERCHUNK..........the sound of the bar being raised one more notch.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Wow Curtis that is stunning. [:0][:D] I just wish that one day my pens and pictures and finish and fit........etc, get nearly as good as that. I'm also glad you mentioned dying the Alumilite as I wondered if it was possible.

Curtis,
Fantastic pen... I have a couple of Barberry bushes in my front yard that I transplanted this past spring, but they aren't doing well.... I keep eying that bright yellow stems.... might have to do some gardening this weekend..

Keithlmartin

excellent pen. I cant wait for the tutorial. being a newbie, its nice that people such as yourself are willing to share their techniques for the greater good as opposed to using it as an opportunity to make money off fellow penmakers.

Hosspen

Awesome Pen! We don't grow those algarita bushes @ here (in NC) as far as I know, but it is a cool looking grain. I can really appreciate taking a small piece of shrub like that and making what turned out to be a piece of art from what most would have overlooked. Pass some of that creativity along this way. That really is a fine piece of work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom