presimo with a self-cast blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb007

mb007

this is a thank you to my wife for letting me use the shop for a couple days of my time off from work (her side of the garage :biggrin:). it's a Presimo from PSI with one of my first casts. She seemed pretty happy with it! I included a pic of the blank before turning for comparison.

Attachments

• pesimo 1.jpg
    pesimo 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 219
  • presimo 2.jpg
    presimo 2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 299
  • purple.jpg
    purple.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sumterdad

that is a pretty cool looking blank. Alot better than my first one. my wife wants me to try one of those kits

SDB777

Pretty cool turning through a fresh blank that looks, well sort of ho-hum to find treasure!

What did you do for a finish, MicroMesh? MM and more?

Scott (her side of the garage-it's all hers) B

hewunch

Very nice cast! I am not sold on the kit, but you are moving me toward liking it, that is for sure!

mb007

Pretty cool turning through a fresh blank that looks, well sort of ho-hum to find treasure!

What did you do for a finish, MicroMesh? MM and more?

Thanks Scott! It is a lot of fun to see what is hidden inside the blanks. I have a couple more glued up and ready to go that I'm excited to see.

For finish, I ran through all the MM pads, then HUT plastic polish, and a coat of Turtle Wax ICE.

I like that cast a lot! Is the pen overturned or is it just the way it looks with the round kit?

Thanks! To be honest, I think that might be the design of the pen. I turned the blank slightly proud of the bushings, and it was still slightly underneath the kit components. Looking at the PSI catalog, their example pens look the same. Either way, for the next one, I'm going to caliper it and match the kit parts - I think it looks overturned as well.

Very nice cast! I am not sold on the kit, but you are moving me toward liking it, that is for sure!

Thanks! This was my first Presimo kit - I'm not sold on it either at this point. The grip section is awfully small, and I don't know if I like the overall look of the kit yet or not. I'm hoping my wife will give me feedback on what she thinks - she has pretty small hands so it might be a good fit for her. She bought me a Presimo and an Executive starter set from PSI for Christmas, so I'll make at least 3 more of these. :biggrin: (and an Executive will be coming as soon as I can get out to the garage to turn it!)

mb007

I like that cast a lot! Is the pen overturned or is it just the way it looks with the round kit?

Since I couldn't edit my previous post, I have to do a new reply - but I wanted to follow-up on my earlier response to jason.

The pics on PSI's site show the blank turned right up to the hardware on the kit, not slightly under as I thought I remembered. So yeah... I overturned this one! Looks like I'll be using the calipers for the final 3 kits, just to be sure. I did turn it right to the bushings, which I've learned is a 50/50 shot concerning the final fit of the components.

It's not my first goof, won't be my last either... but I'll still have fun with every one of 'em! :biggrin:

Top Bottom