President Horistes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I very rarely even bother try doing wood pens because I'm pretty rubbish at the CA finish. :redface:
So I figured that I'd give it one last try today. I've got loads of cool wood just waiting and begging to be turned into pens and this piece of Horistes took my fancy. It is the best CA finish I've ever got, though I am a long way from confident. I got the wood from someone here but can't remember his name. I wrote a 'T' on all the blanks I got from him, so if you're Mr T, thanks:biggrin:
The El Presidente kit is a strange one, isn't it? Unless I got it wrong, :confused:the body gets fatter further from the nib end and the cap tapers towards the clip. I don't have bushings and could be bothered to make any as I figured it would be a failure anyway, but I think it turned out ok in the end:)

Attachments

• Horistes7.jpg
    Horistes7.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 314
  • Horistes2.jpg
    Horistes2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 237
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
No Rubbish I can see from over here Skip . AND , done without bushings . I'm begging you to turn more of those beauties as well . Good job Skip !

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! A landmark skiprat! The finish is gorgeous. I can't see anyway to improve on it. But its hard to see this far away . . .

Darley

Steven you done well and did justice for the Horiste burl, if you don't remember who give it to you just think that the Horiste burl come from Downunder:wink: and your finish is..............................What did you say ??? not bad at all mate:good::good::good:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Steven you done well and did justice for the Horiste burl, if you don't remember who give it to you just think that the Horiste burl come from Downunder:wink: and your finish is..............................What did you say ??? not bad at all mate:good::good::good:

That was my first thought Serge, but I think the only person I've got stuff from in Oz was Timberbits ( Dave Lim) but I took a pic of all the stuff he sent and I'm pretty sure this wasn't in with them.
I'll probably remember when I stop trying. Yep I'm getting old!!!:rolleyes:

If the real 'T' knows, please tell me so I can say thanks properly:biggrin:

Thanks for comments

bitshird

Isn't a wooden skiprat pen a sign of the apocalypse?

Nice work and beautiful finish. Who is this "Mr. T."? I pity the fool who doesn't like this pen.

Not only that but he did it with a KIT but still it looks Darn good, a beautiful finish, I don't know what you worried about except I think it fulfills some strange Aztec or Toltec prophecy. Something about the center of mother earth will reach out and touch father sky and the two brothers will drink the oceans, But hey, they couldn't have been to smart, they thought Cortez was the promised one.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Steven,

Now you know why I don't post many of my pens. I HATE being totally upstaged!!!! :eek::eek::wink:

Beautiful work, Skippy. For someone who only occasionally dabbles in wood, that is awesome.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As you know, it's a GREAT pen, Skippy!!

But you raised an interesting design question.

The pen is clearly designed to "post". Yet, the two ends of the pen are not the same diameter. You show the pen closed and the center looks good. When the top is posted, does the center of the cap "butt" the pen?? Or is it still able to cover the wider diameter?

Just wondering!!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
As you know, it's a GREAT pen, Skippy!!

But you raised an interesting design question.

The pen is clearly designed to "post". Yet, the two ends of the pen are not the same diameter. You show the pen closed and the center looks good. When the top is posted, does the center of the cap "butt" the pen?? Or is it still able to cover the wider diameter?

Just wondering!!

There's nothing wrong with your powers of observation Ed !!!:eek:

It does post and does 'sort of' half butt and half hide the wider end.
I think it looks 'butt' ugly when posted:biggrin:

IMO it is too long/big to post anyway. :wink:

Top Bottom