Pre Civil War-Heart Pine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Constant Laubscher

I have made some pens from wood - Heart Pine/Long leaf pine that come from a building( 225 Moore Street Atlanta) that was left standing after General Sherman burned most of Atlanta in 1864. He then left this building standing and stabled his horses in it.
It is estimated that the trees where this wood came from were 300 to 400 years old.

I am currently making some of these pens for a museum in Atlanta and it comes with a certificate of authenticity.
https://circahistory.com/store/index.aspx#/all_products/phoenix_atlanta_%22cigar%22_fountain_pen_presentation_box

Attachments

• IMG_5406 (900 x 486).jpg
    IMG_5406 (900 x 486).jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_5408 (900 x 745).jpg
    IMG_5408 (900 x 745).jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Splinter

Beautiful pen and great history to boot. I have heard other WW'er say pine shouldn't even be in a WW'ers shop. I disagree. I have made some pens from the sills that were under my Great Grandfathers house which was over a hundred years old when my son tore it down. Like you said the wood was still full of rosin and the grain (when cut on the bias) was beautiful. I have two pens that will be given to my grandsons one day when they get older. My youngest grandson was named after my Great Grandfather that built and lived in the house. His Great Great Great Grandfather.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. :eek:

Top Bottom