In praise of Rick Herrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry Hansen

Larry Hansen

I am new at pen turning and only a couple days ago got around to actually making my first pen. I had been gathering equipment for so long my wife was beginning to doubt I would ever actually make one. I am an old retired professor and move very slowly these days. I had vintage tools that were not designed for pen making. I joined IAP and came across Rick Herrell. I asked him if he could help me modify an old Smithy Super Shop for this purpose and he said yes. After making wood prototypes at Rick's request I sent the measurements to him and he made wonderful parts that made my pen turning possible. Last Friday I made my first pen. It turned out great. If I can do this anyone can. I wanted to post a few photos and thank Rick for making this possible.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

Welcome from Minnesota.
This is one hobby you don't have to move fast to enjoy.
Love the idea of retro fitting and making use of what you have......Rick is the master to work with.

Great looking pens. If these are your firsts.........save them and compare them to #50 or even #100. You will get better with time and pratice.

And think of this as therapy. It can be so restfull.

Last edited:

birddog

Rick Herrell is a great guy and makes precision tools to help make this hobby a little easier. The quality and price of his tools are great!

Alex D

Great first pen! I went through the same thing with my wife as I slowly accumulated gear!

Add in my support for Rick and his work. Genuinely nice guy that provides great products at a great price!

Alex

Top Bottom