"Prairie Style" Rhodium Retro FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akbar24601

akbar24601

Kinda funny, Mike had asked not too long ago in my "Windowz" post when I was going to try an FLW(Frank Lloyd Wright) inspired design. Well, I already had. Not too long ago, Dawn had introduced the idea to me. At the time I had no idea what "Prairie style" was. Now, I suppose I do.

This is an Rhodium Retro FP. The blank consists of Mahogany, Walnut, Maple, Olivewood, Purpleheart and Black Veneer. BLO/CA finish.

By no stretch of the imagination is this pen perfect. I am very pleased with it as my first try at this sort of thing, but, I am also learning alot from it.

Thanks for checkin' it out. Comments and Criticism welcome.

Attachments

• Prairie - Left Side.jpg
    Prairie - Left Side.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 613
  • Prairie - Right Side.jpg
    Prairie - Right Side.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Prairie - Open.jpg
    Prairie - Open.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 306

bitshird

Nice pen Steve!! Now lets see some Buckminster "Bucky" Fuller style Oh and please do a tutorial on it :wink::wink::wink::beat-up: Seriously that is some beautiful segmenting absolutely beautiful, thanks for showing us more awe inspiring work

mick

Kinda funny, Mike had asked not too long ago in my "Windowz" post when I was going to try an FLW(Frank Lloyd Wright) inspired design. Well, I already had. Not too long ago, Dawn had introduced the idea to me. At the time I had no idea what "Prairie style" was. Now, I suppose I do.

This is an Rhodium Retro FP. The blank consists of Mahogany, Walnut, Maple, Olivewood, Purpleheart and Black Veneer. BLO/CA finish.

By no stretch of the imagination is this pen perfect. I am very pleased with it as my first try at this sort of thing, but, I am also learning alot from it.

Thanks for checkin' it out. Comments and Criticism welcome.
Steve, That's sweet! It fairly screams FLW meets Tiffany. My wife has been after me to do some pens along similar lines but all the designs I've come up with haven't quite done it for me.....yours however struck a cord when I saw it. I hope in light of all that's going on "in another thread" you don't mind me borrowing your design as a springboard. If and when I do post any pictures I'll be sure and give credit where credit is due.
Mike
BTW...Neil owes me a cleaning of my comp screen. I spewed Pepsi all over it at his tutorial comment!

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The tutorial left me completely clueless.

Where is the U-tube???

The pen IS excellent, Steve. Should you do another at any time, you may want to look up FLW. I don't believe his patterns ever went downward. (I could be wrong, but my recollection was that all arrows pointed UP).

Please include that in the appendix to the U-tube. TIA!!! BFF!!!

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Should you do another at any time, you may want to look up FLW. I don't believe his patterns ever went downward. (I could be wrong, but my recollection was that all arrows pointed UP).
When the pen is posted and being used, the arrows are all pointing up. He knows what he's doing.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I DID find a window where the arrows pointed down. It is possible.

Would love to post, but it says it is copyrighted and I have been down that road in the past. BIG STOP sign.

In any event, FLW did use arrows both ways.

akbar24601

When the pen is posted and being used, the arrows are all pointing up. He knows what he's doing.

A fine observation Neil!!! You are slick! Who should be the lawyer??!!

I DID find a window where the arrows pointed down. It is possible.

Would love to post, but it says it is copyrighted and I have been down that road in the past. BIG STOP sign.

In any event, FLW did use arrows both ways.

Confirmed. I checked it out too Ed, whew, I done it right!!! :eek::biggrin::beer:

mick

The tutorial left me completely clueless.

Where is the U-tube???

The pen IS excellent, Steve. Should you do another at any time, you may want to look up FLW. I don't believe his patterns ever went downward. (I could be wrong, but my recollection was that all arrows pointed UP).

Please include that in the appendix to the U-tube. TIA!!! BFF!!!

Ed sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Wright went both ways :rolleyes:
I have a knock off of this, but this is his original design.

http://www.maclinstudio.com/arandcrprart2.html

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Another great pen maker! Another great pen.

I don't know if its the photo or me, but I can't see anything wrong with it. Doesn't that make it perfect? Or did you forget the install a nib?

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Another great pen maker! Another great pen.

I don't know if its the photo or me, but I can't see anything wrong with it. Doesn't that make it perfect? Or did you forget the install a nib?
I don't think any pen, no matter how nice it is will ever be perfect in the eyes of the artist, that's part of what keeps us making nicer ones. This one is damned close.

philb

Love the design of that! Must of took hours to make.

Where did you get the Rhodium Retro from? As the ones i have from CSUSA don't have the gold accents, but black?

PHIL

mickr

what's to criticize? Yikes, it is gorgeous..I have made many stained glass panels in FLR type designs, and a while back I was sitting with some design books, wondering if I could incorporate a design on a pen...WOW you did a superb job and beat me to the punch

akbar24601

Love the design of that! Must of took hours to make.

Where did you get the Rhodium Retro from? As the ones i have from CSUSA don't have the gold accents, but black?

PHIL

Sorry, that was my bad. I sent Phil a pm to answer and should have posted here.

Neil, you are right if by Aaron you mean Aaron from LauLau. I ordered my kits from their site: www.laulauwood.net

Rangertrek

Super!

As a fan of FLW (since architecture school) that is a great pen and adaptation of the prairie style. Enen the wood selection fits the theme.
I can only hope one day to even try something like that.

One of the best pens I have seen, even with the little imperfections. BTW, where are the imperfections?

let me know if you decide to produce any of those blanks for sale.:)

PR_Princess

Steve, what happened to the Z man? I almost missed this!

Beautiful job, and beautiful pen!!! I think that warmth of wood really compliments this design well and you did a super job! I'm still shaking my head in amazement that you could do something this outstanding on the first try!!!

BTW..wasn't this supposed to be my blank???? :tongue::wink::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Superb workmanship there Steve!!!!:eek: You did an incredible job of keeping everything in line.!!! Well done:biggrin:

If Niel asks for one more £$&&%£"!!! tutorial, I'm gonna come over there and shoot him myself:mad::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom