Practicing "closed"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Some Italian resin I got years ago (sight unseen) - and components from the same era. My first attempt at a "closed end"

Thanks to Anthony (Penworks) for the "clues" in our conversations!!!!
200776174517_redblkitalianclosedIAP.jpg

Probably still too long, but I have had several requests at shows for a pen that is MUCH longer (one guy said OVER nine inches), so since I can now do it, I have been playing.

20077617484_glitterclosIAPnet.jpg

So, whaddayathink????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Pens or whacking sticks?!? [:eek:)][:D]
They're quite nice -- ignore my smart-alec opening line. [;)]
Really good work. I need to try a closed end and expand my skills.
Gary

JimGo

Gary, remember, it was Anthony who was providing the design "clues".

Ed, I'm with the majority - I like the shape of the 2nd one best. Both are too long for my taste (how will they fit in a pocket - and if they don't, what's the point of the clip?), but the fit and finish are well done, and both shapes are pleasant.

jtate

Okay, They're beauticul - fit and finish are both very nice
but let me be the voice of dissent on the shape. I don't like the wide bottom end - whether squared off or bubous. I like an end that's tapered down not spread out. Why do the folks who do closed end pens do this big end?

Julia

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ed

I love the second blank, and pen!

I have seen some major league bats that have been shorter though...JK

I have got to try these closed ends, you guys make it look so easy and cool!

Got anymore of those second blanks?????

Robert

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rojo22
<br />Ed

I love the second blank, and pen!

I have seen some major league bats that have been shorter though...JK
I have got to try these closed ends, you guys make it look so easy and cool!

Got anymore of those second blanks?????

Robert

Based on this, I am considering changing the title to
<center>Two big whackers!!!</center>

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please keep on the question of length and "end design". I have turned a couple with tapering ends, too. Of course, the question is, if it tapers, should it also "post"?

If it is designed to post, the plastic will develop rings when the cap is "tightly secured". So, I am in a bit of a quandry. I am very appreciative of the comments here, since I have no history or sales experience on this design - I'd like to minimize the "non-sellers"!!!!!!!!

JimGo, it fits FINE in your pocket!!!! If you wear a 4XL-tall!

ashaw

Ed
I also prefer a tapered end. Yes it should post.
As far as length. I would try to keep the length to the original pen design. Just my opinion.

By the way nice looking pens.

mdburn_em

I'm thinking they might be pretty comfortable to write with.

"...it fits FINE in your pocket!!!! If you wear a 4XL-tall!..."

Well, that would be me, so send them on over and I'll tell ya how they fit. [:D]

Originally posted by jtate
<br />Okay, They're beauticul - fit and finish are both very nice
but let me be the voice of dissent on the shape. I don't like the wide bottom end - whether squared off or bubous. I like an end that's tapered down not spread out. Why do the folks who do closed end pens do this big end?

Julia

I agree, they ARE "beautical" and as for the end shape, it is a personal preference. I think the shape serves two purposes. One shows that it is different than a commercial pen that almost always tapers and two is that it adds weight at the end when writing. With the cap it is too heavy for my writing preference and tapered it feels too short. The added shape and weight solves the problem.
I have more customers that prefer the ability to post the cap and they don't understand the closed end. The Parker size pens are the only pens I feel are comfortably used posted, though they limit your creative options. All the larger(Baron/ Jr Gent and bigger) pens are top heavy IMHO.

soundman

I know a lot of people like a long pen.
I like the look and feel of a longer pen.
I often fit longer tubes to basic slimlines... I like slimlines there is a lot fo freedom to modify.

You could save the problem of posting the cap by using a retractable mech'.

The reason mots pens are the length they are is to fit in a man's pocket.
If you are building for ladies the length may not be such a problem.

cheers

gerryr

The workmanship is great as always Ed, although I think they're both too long. You need to remember that Anthony is 8' tall so his proportions are a bit off.[:D] I prefer the shape of the first one, the bulbous end just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the pen. The material on the second one is interesting. I don't suppose you would know of a source for that material, humm?[;)]

Rmartin

No, it should not post.

Questioned answered

I prefer the first better, but I like the closed-end which flairs with a rounded end.

That is just an opinion

Rmartin

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
First, let me say that I like both pens. They shapes will appeal to different folks, so my preference won't necessarily meet with the public's opinion. There is one major consideration when you are making a pen that is intended to fit in a shirt pocket and that is length. The average dress shirt or button up sports shirt has a pocket that is 4-1/2" to 5" deep. Poketed polo shirts and t-shirts pockets tend to be about 4" deep. With that in mind, thee clip needs to be approximately 4"-5" from the end of the pen. As for the wuestion about why put a clip on a desk pen, it's pure aesthetics. With few exceptions, most people expect a pen, particularly a man's pen, to have a clip. Of course, desk pens and presentation or contract pens are often larger and made without clips like this pen which is over 7" long closed.

200778165349_Laliberte1.jpg
<br />

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks to everyone!!

No, I am not looking for "THE answer"! Just interested in opinions, since we are closer to the end users than most people and, therefore, may have a better "handle" on what the public is seeking.

Lou, I have to say that was a sneaky way to post a pic!!! Isn't that a UNIQUE nib on that pen??? Tell me more about that!!![:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom