Power point pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I received some blanks from David marks.(Claro Walnut Burl)One of my retail customers asked for a pencil like the lignum vitae one I made for myself.Since he wanted a shop pencil(I think the ones marketed as shop pencils have much too big of a lead for the accuracy I desire,sharpener in the cap) I like the 2mm lead in the PSI Power Point.
all the components of the kit are used,The barrel connector/trim ring is ground down and buried in the pen barrel.You can also get the long 8mm tubes 10" and cut tour own.
This was sealed with CA but sanded back friction finish and a coat of TSW applied.I told him He would finish the pen as he used it.After all it is meant to be a woodworkers pencil.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jimbo 31751
<br />Eagle that looks real good, can you get the lead for that
at office sply or only from psi?
2 mmleads are availableany where in different hardnesses.
Watch the pricing.
My local office supply charges $12.00 fpr a dozen leads.The same thing at an Office Borg or online is $6.50+-.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by C_Ludwigsen
<br />Eagle, that is one nice shop pencil. Great job on the one-piece. I'll have to look into that kit.

He originally asked for Maple but everything I had was pretty bland.Maple works well with othr woods IMHO but unless I has a birdseye or figured piece I save for glueups.
I ran across a piece of highly figured stuff and he took orders for 2.

jkoehler

I have madee this pencil as it is my pencil of choice. i have used this type of pencil for a long time.
my question is how you drilled the blank?
also. do you need to put the barrel connector in or could you get by without it? could you just insert the upper and lowder tube and leave the middle blank?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by jkoehler
<br />I have madee this pencil as it is my pencil of choice. i have used this type of pencil for a long time.
my question is how you drilled the blank?
also. do you need to put the barrel connector in or could you get by without it? could you just insert the upper and lowder tube and leave the middle blank?

Sionce I have a BEall collet chuck I turned the blank round inserted in the Beall and drilled it on the lathe.
When I find I need an accurate LONG centered hole this is the best way for me to do it.It isn't foolfproof but it works most of the time.
the overall length of the body of the pencil without the fittings is 4" which is doable on a drill press with a 3&1/8th inch travel.
Thought there are those who just put tubes in either end, I wouldn'n advise it.
Wood moves and the tubes give it structural rigidity.the tolerance of the drill bit allows for room for adhesive. I feel if you use two separate tubes it is possibleto have alignment issues.
Grinding down the center connector is no big deal but you need to leave a "Shoulder" so yopuo don't push the tubes in too far.
The easiest way is to assemble the connector, and tubes, slip it on a log rod or screwdriver and do it on a bench sander,Whe you start scuffing the tubes you will be at the right diameter.
continue scuffing the tubes and you are ready to glue it up.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Jeff, I drill my long blanks on the lathe as well, but I use a scroll chuck. Same principal.
I wish I could afford a scroll chuck that would hold pen blanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom