powder coat slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hard hat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

yort81

If Im not mistaken...you guys are remembering the well known Pacific Northwest Wood turner Carl Jacobson ... He has very nice Youtube channel that you can look up :) He has access to some very nice paint chunks and has turn those on cam for you to watch.

OK that is very cool. Nice job on those pens. I remember someone else doing this same type of thing but it was from a paint booth...

I remember that too. Been a few years !!

Very cool pen, well done. :biggrin:

hard hat

Just polished them. That stuff is really tough, I had to sharpen tools twice and rotate the carbide cutter on the EWT.

CrimsonKeel

Been meaning to make something like that. I work at a paint plant but unfortunately our "modern" paint doesn't really cure into a rock hard coat like i would want. the old enamel based paints polished up real nice.

hard hat

Very cool!! One question though....if this is powder coat from a rack, did it get baked to make it solid?

yes it has been baked, a lot. they way they do their powder coat is not through the static charge way but by heating the item, spraying it while hot, then baking for 15 minutes more to set the hardener. so the rack gets baked every time, after every layer. after a long time, it builds up thick enough that someone cares to clean it off.

healeydays

So is it really powder coating or a different process? I thought Powder coating was specifically the static charge method?

Russianwolf

So is it really powder coating or a different process? I thought Powder coating was specifically the static charge method?

powder coating is the material. its a powdered plastic that is melted to form a coating on a piece. the method of applying doesn't matter.

Same for paint. brush, spray or dip, its still painted.

Waluy

Very cool!! One question though....if this is powder coat from a rack, did it get baked to make it solid?

yes it has been baked, a lot. they way they do their powder coat is not through the static charge way but by heating the item, spraying it while hot, then baking for 15 minutes more to set the hardener. so the rack gets baked every time, after every layer. after a long time, it builds up thick enough that someone cares to clean it off.

I'd be willing to bet that the powder is still static charged when it leaves the gun. The last place I worked had a powder coat room and that is pretty much the exact process they followed. You heat the item to allow for off gassing and for any contaminates to bake out. Spray while still hot to make sure contaminates don't "soak back in". (The spray gun is where they electrostatic charge comes from). And then bake it to cure the powder.

hard hat

you're probably right about the static from the gun, I've never done the powder coating myself.

thank you all for the kind words

healeydays

Just think static cling. That's the principle around powder coating. The powder in the gun is charged one way, the piece the other. It's that opposites attract thing.

Them Australians claim to have found the principle. Whomever came up with it, it's brilliant and so is that pen.

Introduction to Powder Coating

healeydays

It's pretty sad. I contacted a couple shops I have used in the past and they say they clean their racks and never would let it build up that much. I guess I need a goy with a dirty shop...

Top Bottom