Posting Gentleman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveRoberts

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRoberts

At my weekend show I got yet more requests for a posting large format pen. It got me to thinking about it, I had to use two kits and turn the final from scratch but now there is a shiny red bowling ball posting Gentleman in my pocket.

I am still too lazy to take good pictures so use your imagination to help out my pictures. Oh, and yes just as I told everyone who asked it is too tail-heavy when posted.

2006530155835_postgent%20001.jpg

2006530155854_postgent%20002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Neat idea! I've had a few people make similar comments about the Emperor and the Statesman, and this technique at least will give them the option of having it post. I just played with my Statesman, and MAN would that be uncomfortable with the cap on the back. BUT the customer is always right!!!!

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Neat idea! I've had a few people make similar comments about the Emperor and the Statesman, and this technique at least will give them the option of having it post. I just played with my Statesman, and MAN would that be uncomfortable with the cap on the back. BUT the customer is always right!!!!

I really wanted to make a posting emperor but the idea of killing $100 in kits just to make a point left me cold. I have a concern about the Jr. Emperor too, it can't post, the size is about right for a posting pen and it seems impossible to market to me. "Sure it is smaller but it costs just as much"... I can't see selling it along side the full size at the same price.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
BTW, there is a posting version of the Cigar pen.

I think that's where some of the parts came from , so I assume you knew that, but the threads ain't great!

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />BTW, there is a posting version of the Cigar pen.

I think that's where some of the parts came from , so I assume you knew that, but the threads ain't great!

The "cigar" I make is the ballpoint twist type, what version do you refer to?

bjackman

Steve,
Have you checked with CSU to see if they will sell you just the "extra" parts needed? They will sell you parts if they have them from kits that have been broken up for warranty replacement, etc.

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by bjackman
<br />Steve,
Have you checked with CSU to see if they will sell you just the "extra" parts needed? They will sell you parts if they have them from kits that have been broken up for warranty replacement, etc.

I haven't checked. That would be a great option,thanks for the heads up!

Steve

SteveRoberts

Originally posted by bjackman
<br />Steve,
Ok, Now I have checked. They have parts on a "maybe" basis. If they have pulled a kit apart for other reasons yes. For instance, there are zero Emperor or Statesman coupler-trim ring bits around. So my goal of a posting Emperor is still about $75 if you use the Tn Rb Emp. kit and the same in Statesman (part is identical and kit is cheaper).

Steve

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Steve,

The "Big Ben" Rollerball and fountain pen are available for a "fatter" posting pen. Several problems: First it's from PSI, meaning no TN or 10KT. Second, when posting, the threads are far from smooth. Third, when they are not posted, they have a "stump" of threads-not "high fashion" design.

So, you ask, why would I have ever bought them-they are CHEAP (under $10 for a fountain pen) and I really like the cigar design. OK, so I have only bought a couple dozen and they (exept about 3) are still in the shop, but it's one of MANY mistakes I have made and at least I KNOW about the kit????!!!

Hope this can be of some help to you?????

SteveRoberts

Thanks Ed, I have had a few non-starters as well, the classic rollrball, the click, the polaris, I am not going to add to the mix much. I am NOT going to add the Jr. Emp. or the Imperial. I am going to make some silly-high priced Lotus pens of ubber-exotics but not too many.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
VEry interesting..... (again)

I really thought you would be the one guy who could SELL all those new pens. Your shows seem to support the "big buck pens" (God bless you-I wish everyone GREAT success) Lots of turners will BUY them, but round 2 could be pretty boring if no one is SELLING them. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom