Post Your Pen Swap Photos HERE

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Blind_Squirrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

For starters, thanks Scott for doing this, it has been fun.

We have already shown ours seperately but to keep them together with all the others, here are the pens to and from Texatdurango and CaptG. We're both very pleased with the trade.

20078163853_swap%20pens.jpg
<br />

Firefyter-emt

Bump to be the second on the list.. Here is "our" swap.

The pen I made is on the top, it's a Rappahannock cib dam blank on a El-Grande Streamline FP.

Recieved from Gregg is the bottom photo, it's a maple burl on a Berea (I think) Round top Americana FP.

817071.jpg

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Look what was waiting for me when I got home today!!!![:D]
Nancy Laird, you fibbed!!!!! Your work does not 'pale' in comparison to ANYONES, least of all mine. This beauty is a real mans pen. I believe it is Walnut Burl that Nancy acquired in good Skiprat tradition while in Colorado.[;)] I am extremely pleased that it is not coated in plastic. Instead, Nancy has achieved a warm rich lustre and the pen just 'feels' great. Nancy graciously included the wonderfully engraved box which has an ingenious lifting mech for the pen. Many thanks Nancy, I will treasure it for years and years. [:D][:D][:D][:D]

2007821151556_100_2063.jpg
<br />

NancyLaird

I'm so glad you like the pen, Steven (I've already told you that in private, but....) I just love wood pens.

About the wood: while hubby and I were in Colorado in July on vacation, we searched out a woodworking shop in Palisade that hubby had found in the Yellow Pages (hubby's idea of a great vacation is to seek out other woodworkers!![:D]). The guy graciously invited us into his shop and showed us around. There were a pair of sawhorses in the shop piled up with some milled walnut that he intended to use for flooring in his new house, and next to the chop saw was a pile of cut-offs. I asked him what he intended to do with the cut-offs, and he said he was going to burn them!!!!![:0][:0][:0][:0][:(!] I asked him if I could have a few pieces, and he handed me a box and told me to take all I wanted. So I filled the box with enough of the walnut cut-offs to make about 200 pens![:D]. There were a couple of the pieces that had some beautiful burl and as soon as I saw it, I knew that was the pen for Steven. I now have three of his gorgeous metal creations and he has a good ol' American walnut pen. I liked this swap!!!!!!

Nancy

The pens he sent me are posted in the other thread that was started, but I've asked Jeff to move them here.

NancyLaird

(This was originally posted on Friday, August 17, in the other thread. Jeff suggested that I repost it here).

Lookee! Lookee! Lookee at what I got today (Friday)! I'm so excited. Steven (Skiprat) told me he was sending a little "Skiprat extra" - I never dreamed it would be THREE pens.

My photography skills with the new camera aren't the greatest, but here they are:

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
200781720636_IMG_0537.jpg
<br />
Aluminum (or aluminium as Steven would say) and copper and ????. This one is beautiful. And Steven says this is the very pen he made for the tutorial on the home page.

200781720654_IMG_0539.jpg
<br />
This material is just so gorgeous; one can see very deep into the material, and there isn't even a tiny bump between the green and the copper.

They are all just beautiful, but I have to admit that this one is my favorite of the three.

20078172077_IMG_0540.jpg
<br />

And this is the opposite side of the blank showing off the beautiful striations.

200781720719_IMG_0541.jpg
<br />

I don't know how he does it. The one I sent to him pales in comparison!!

Thank you, Steven (Skiprat) for these three beauties. When we were e-mailing back and forth, I told him I was honored that I'd be getting a pen from a Limey, and that I'd be the only person I know with a hand-made pen from a Brit (actually he lives in Wales, but....) I'm now the proud owner of three of his pens, and I just love them.

Thank you again, Steven.

Nancy

bud duffy

I rcieved a beautiful BLUE curly tiger maple pen from Keith (neon007) which i hope to put with the other pens i have recieved from some of the finest makers in the world whenever i can coax it from the hands my wife as she has cabbaged onto it after i took it out of the box exclaiming MINE!

Keith emailed me today saying he recieved his creation from me.
The pen i made for Keith is what i believe to be Padouk not for sure as i got it in a grab bag not labeled, anyway it is paired with maple burl and aluminum the centerband is Corian Hot color with CA finish and a couple coats of TSW.
My photo computer skills suck so heres a link . If anybody can figure how to make a pic show up have at it please!
Bud

&lt;a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img src="http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r93/zenaca/penswap2007recievedfromkeithneon007.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"&gt;&lt;/a&gt;

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r93/zenaca/penswap2007recievedfromkeithneon007.jpg
ievedfromkeithneon007photobucket%20(600%20x%20450).jpg
<br />

NancyLaird

OK, Bud, I just learned how to post the pictures, so I'll tell you. (By the way, your photo in Photobucket no longer exists.)

You have to start by clicking on the "Reply to Topic" at the top of the quick reply box. Below that box will be a paperclip with "insert an image file" next to it. Click on the paperclip, and it will bring you to a screen where you can either browse your own computer for the link to the photo or you can browse the prior photos you have shown and reload it into this post. Just follow the directions, and your picture will appear. You can preview the post to make sure the picture is there, then you can adjust your spacing and decide if you want to put the text before or after the picture.

200781720719_IMG_0541.jpg
<br />

It will help if you get your pictures resized with something like PixResizer - just Google that and you'll find the free download. I resize all of mine to 460 x 600 pixels, and they turn out fine, not too BIG, but like the one here.

Nancy (121 days)

neon007

Here ya go bud. As you can see his exp. and my inexp. really shows. Bud I am going to send you another pen so your wife can keep this one. It will be in the mail this afternoon.

007.jpg

OKLAHOMAN

Recived this from Nolan yesterday. It is has to be from his personal supply of two tone amboyna burl WOW!!. I know that the picture will not do it justice. Thank you Nolan, the fit and finish are puuuuuuurfect it now rest next to my collection of pens from some of the best here.

200782414434_DSCF0039-1.jpg
<br />

exoticwo

This is the Swap Fountain Pen I received from Emma Arch. For a person with less than 100 pens to her name I think this is fantastic! Loads of segmented work and finished in CA.
Thanks a bunch Emma!

2007826215637_Segmented.jpg

GaryMGg

Albert or Emma,
Can one of you post a larger picture of the pen Emma received. It's impossible for my weak eyes to discern anything from the current pic posted.

d01phn1vr

Sorry about that Blind_Squirrel. I was having some trouble with photoshop. I will get that fixed this afternoon. I have a neighbor that is an expert with photoshop. I wanted to fix it last night but couldn't get it to work, and it got late.

I greatly apologize for my ineptitude with photo editing. I guess I'm better at working with wood than the computer...[:I]

GaryMGg

This is the pen I made for Eric Spatt (Barrels).
The pen is a Gold Titanium Cigar with figured maple and sapelle.
I decided to make something I hadn't done yet, a 4-ring knot.
I really enjoyed making this pen and I hope Eric will enjoy using it.

swapKnot4.jpg

swapKnot2.jpg

swapKnot1.jpg

barrels

Gary,

Let me first say..HOLLY MOLLY....I owe you another pen, your pen was so nice I better add a second one to even out the swap. Thank you.... as well that was a very nice write up you gave me very very professional. I did not even think of doing that... and no I will not be using this beauti,, I have it displayed in my den.

Thanks
Eric

GaryMGg

Eric,
I got the pen this morning and I think you're underestimating what you sent.
You should post a photo and let others see. It's quite nice.
I'm quite pleased. I'm guessing: red oak and a legacy mill?
If you want to make another pen, I'm not going to object but don't think you owe me or need to make things "even". I had a great time learning something new.
You said the swap should be about craftsmanship and artistic decisions and I think we both accomplished that.
I certainly like the pen you made, and I feel I've climbed another rung in my personal experience "ladder".
I couldn't be happier with how things worked out.
[;)]

barrels

Gary,

Thank you for the kind words...I always think my pens can be better... and I did rush abit getting it done... as I started the Pen I received a call that a very close relitive died and had to get done quick. Yes you are right red Oak on a Legacy, spray urathane finish with sanding with MM
Thanks
Eric
tn_Image005%20_3_.jpg

IPD_Mrs

Got an email from my swap partner JohnStout that he received the pen I made for him, so I am posting the photos.

It is a Vista Black Ti and Plat. kit with buckeye burl blank. The finish is CA. This was the first Vista and the first Buckeye burl that I have done. It was the second time I did a CA finish and probably the 4-5 pen I have ever done completely by myself. And on a side note the whole thing was tuned using a gouge as I am not comfortable with a skew yet.[:0]

This was a lot of fun and most importantly for me a learning experience. Thanks for running this.

Linda

20079344554_Buck-burl-BlTiPlVista1.jpg
<br />

20079344612_Buck-burl-BlTiPlVista.jpg
<br />

IPD_Mrs

OK I got word from Jim that he has received the pen I sent him. Before I post photos of what I sent him, I just want to say how much I enjoyed the swap but most of all getting to know Jim. He really made this something worth doing.

SO here is what I sent. It is a Jr Gent Ti Gold that is dressed in one of those famous Nolan insane redwood two-tone burls, or is that insane Nolan redwood burls? I forget. Finish is CA and the box is from Ken at Kallenshaanwoods

20079522930_1%20001.jpg
<br />

20079522952_1%20002.jpg
<br />

IPD_Mrs

I waited on Jim to send me a photo of the pen he made me. (He is a much better photographer)

This is a two tone (I call it four tone) red and brown mallee on a Rhodium Jr. Gent. This is a gorgeous pen and unlike your traditional sap and heart wood two tones it is subtly mixed throughout the blank. The finish is CA but not the high gloss so it feels like wood and not plastic. It is such a nice piece I hate to use it, but most of all it inspires me to do a little different finish that is glossy yet still feels like wood.

Jim first made a buckeye burl and filled the inclusions with copper inlay, being the perfectionist that he is, he went and did the mallee as he was not satisfied with the first one. When we swapped he sent them both.[:0]

He was such a good sport through the whole process putting up with my inexperience yet treating me like I knew what I was talking about. I have a folder full of our emails and with some luck one day we might get to meet.

Thank you Jim and IAP for going all out and being a class act.
Mike

2007963739_jimspen2me.jpg
<br />

grumps

I've got to chime in here and thank Mike (MLKWoodWorking) for his kind words. However... he does not do enough justice to the pen he sent me!

Whether it's Nolan or the redwood burl that's insane doesn't matter - what counts is Mike's quality craftsmanship in the pen that I received. Turning and finish are both perfect and I'm honored to have been linked up in the swap with such fine people as Mike and his wife Linda. The engraved box is vastly more than I expected and is sincerely appreciated. It's been a very enjoyable pen swap that has provided me more than I expected when I put my name in the hat for it. Thanks Linda and Mike ...

jt

Texatdurango

After the swap was underway I happened to read the original thread and caught a post where Wayne (wayneis) had just learned of the swap and was wanting someone to swap with so I contacted him and the swap was on!

Below are the pens we swapped and I could not be happier with the pen I received. It is a double closed end Baron with a beautiful wood I am not familiar with but has a "depth" the likes I have never seen. As if the pen was not nice enough already, Wayne topped it off by adding a hand turned acrylic center band. Very nice Wayne, Thanks a lot.

My pen to Wayne is a segmented Jr Gent with blue and gold box elder burls seperated by black accents.

Now I have two pens to proudly display! [:)]

20079724753_swap-metowayne.jpg
<br />
20079724819_swap-waynetome.jpg

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />It is a double closed end Baron with a beautiful wood I am not familiar with but has a "depth" the likes I have never seen.

It looks like a beautiful piece of Afselia Xylay. Both pens look fantastic.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br /> ...It looks like a beautiful piece of Afselia Xylay. Both pens look fantastic.
Yep, that's what it is. Wayne threw me a curve ball. Here I was thinking he did a snazzy CA finish only to find out that he uses Enduro!

He has caused me to rethink using Enduro as a finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom