Possibly the first ever....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

Nylatron Pen. On a Vail kit with a Gold Jr. Clip. Comments welcome.

Nylatron is a nylon that has a curly look to it. I wish my pictures could pick up the side to side movement of the material. It is really neat looking in person.

vailnylatronsm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks like a very cool material!
Must be easy to turn and finish?

Where did you get it from and does it come in an array of different colours?

Andrew

hewunch

It is a cool material. It is fairly easy to turn but the strings that come off of it are pretty strong so you need a knife sometimes to get them unwrapped around the mandrel / bushings. I finished it with CA because it was dull. I got it from the guy who makes my bushings and as far as I know this is the only color, but I will find out for sure.

KDM

Make a video of you jiggling teh blank and post it on YouTube. I don't think we can embed video, here, you can certainly post a link.

PR_Princess

Make a video of you jiggling teh blank and post it on YouTube. I don't think we can embed video, here, you can certainly post a link.

Yep! You can embed a video that will play directly in the thread.:cool::tongue:

{yt}VideoValue{/yt}

Where you see {} substitute [].

OR

{ytmini}VideoValue{/ytmini}

Again where {} shows, sub in []. This mini version will show as a thumbnail in the thread and serve as a link to the full size version.

(Clear as mud???... Had to use substitutions as the code either would not show or would show a video and take away from Han's thread! :frown: ..Darn these computers!!!!:biggrin:)

KDM

(Clear as mud???... Had to use substitutions as the code either would not show or would show a video and take away from Han's thread! :frown: ..Darn these computers!!!!:biggrin:)

Perfectly clear. I've taken the thread to a PM (so as not to detract further from Hans' excellent work!!)

KDM

Excellent! That is a sweet pen. Marvellous material. Cracking finish. I hope we see more embedded videos. This really shows the pen off a treat. I'm off to video some pens...

KDM

I hope "Cracking" is a colloquialism for good or great and not actually cracking.

Hehe! "Cracking" = uber-neat!! Put that in the forum dictionary!

Erm... just what is the possibility of this stuff cracking? I understand it's harder than nylon, but less hard than polyester. That should be a good halfway house. Some PRs (NOT MINE!!) can be brittle and nylon's just a pig.

dcannon

Nylatron shouldn't crack, it's got great properties all around. It's basically nylon with molybdenum additive. It's produced for very high wear applications and doesn't come in any other colors. In fact, it won't even have that wave pattern if you get the wrong kind. I used to work for a plastics distributor and if I remember correctly, it only looks like that if it was extruded, not cast (could be the other way around, so double check if you order any). Comes in rods too, so save some money (it's not cheap!) if your supplier stocks it in round rods. If you have any industrial/engineering plastics distributors in your area, they should have this, or an equivalent by a differnent name in stock.

New to pens, but finally found a post I could help with, so thought I'd put that out there!

Dan

KDM

It is fairly easy to turn

Yep. Streamers come of good with a good sharp tool, but being soft, the nylon gives before cutting, so there's a real issue if the tool digs in.

but the strings that come off of it are pretty strong so you need a knife sometimes to get them unwrapped around the mandrel / bushings.

Damn straight! I spent half the evening cutting my way through the miles of fishing line I was creating!!

I finished it with CA because it was dull.

Ah. Did you make any effort to smooth it (eg sanding or MM) before your first layer of CA? I found that there were grooves around it where teh aforementioned fishing line came off. I think mine is going to take many layers of CA before it's smooth.

as far as I know this is the only color, but I will find out for sure.

Yeah. You guessed it. I got me length. It is spectacularly pretty when it's turned. You see the way yours has a few big "blotches" which make up its pattern? Mine has a lot of small ones. Photos to follow once I apply about 1/8in thick CA!

KDM

Really? What speed? I was going to work uyp from 400 grit to 1000. Starting with the 1000, I find that if I run it too slow (eg 250), I get really deep scratches and if I run to fast (eg 1600) nothing at all happens!! Weird stuff.

Top Bottom