Poor Mans Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmhoff10500

Jmhoff10500

So here is another prime example of how the freebies from Exotic Blanks usually turn out nicer than the actual blanks i buy! Its an alternate amber blank laid over a tube that has been painted black... It looked a bit like bakelite that had been overlaid on some of the pen you guys had been making so its my little slice of fancyness:biggrin:.

I had been told that it is quite difficult to turn this particular blank, but i don't know if it was luck, the things i learned at the Utah symposium, or my newly obtained skew skills (most likely luck) but it turned really smooth!

In case some of you were wondering, it is a sierra pen kit and i MM'd up to 12000 grit and finished off with a nice buff on the new buffing wheel i won at the wood turners rendezvous 2 weeks ago!

It is a new photo tent (my new camera is in the mail) so please tell me what you guys think about everything other than blurriness from my old canon point and shoot... Thanks!

5.jpg7.jpg8.jpg11.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I know at least one blank that is going to be on my next order. I had no idea that one was that cool looking. I wonder how it would look backpainted blue. Shades of aqua and turquoise? Hmmmmm.

thetalbott4

You struck gold (or amber) with that one. Beautiful stuff. Almost like looking into a waterfall. It just seems to glow. I never would have seen that in the raw blank. Which of the pics do you think best depicts the color?

Jmhoff10500

The second one to the left turned out to be the closest color.

You struck gold (or amber) with that one. Beautiful stuff. Almost like looking into a waterfall. It just seems to glow. I never would have seen that in the raw blank. Which of the pics do you think best depicts the color?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
NICE job, Jonathon!!!

I have always painted white, I LIKE your effect!!

And, getting a pen out of the alt amber speaks well for your turning skills!!!

NOTICE to those who order this: The above is PROOF the material CAN be turned, so don't call me to say it is defective when you blow it up!!!!! It is, by nature, SENSITIVE!!!! Slow, gentle moves result in a pen!

RAdams

Banned
Jonathan, THAT IS SICK!

Really sharp! I also like the black under the amber. Ed is right, this material is turnable, and well worth the small amount of extra effort!!!

I used "Turn signal amber" paint when i did mine.

Attachments

• 1_alt_amber.jpg
    1_alt_amber.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 200

bitshird

Johnathan you stole my idea, I've been looking at the Alternate Amber that Dawn sent me for over a month trying to figure out what kit to use, with tubes painter blotchy white and black to look like some of that gorgeous stuff Roy has been showing, I guess when ya snooze ya loose,. Hey you did a beautiful job on the pen, it looks fantastic..

Jmhoff10500

my bad! I haven't made a pen in over 5 months cause I've been busy so I thougt this would be a great one to kick off with again!

Johnathan you stole my idea, I've been looking at the Alternate Amber that Dawn sent me for over a month trying to figure out what kit to use, with tubes painter blotchy white and black to look like some of that gorgeous stuff Roy has been showing, I guess when ya snooze ya loose,. Hey you did a beautiful job on the pen, it looks fantastic..

ToddMR

I am very low on the pen turning skill. I am really impressed. That is one nice looking pen! Good job on everything.

bitshird

Jonathan Ya did good, now do some more, it wouldn't make any difference for me cause I blew up my camera and have to get a new one, so like the old song says Turn Turn Turn Turn.

Top Bottom