Pomelle Bubinga Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from godfreytoddanderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a pomelle bubinga sterling baron rollerball with a straight CA finished topped with TSW.

Anyone know if this is sapwood or heartwood? I bought a combo pack with both but I have never known which is which.

200682244350_Pomele%20Bubinga%20Baron%2001.jpg

200682244424_Pomele%20Bubinga%20Baron%2002.jpg

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KC

That looks like heart to me...the pic below is a "1/2 sapwood". It's a subtle difference...but you can see a bit of change at the 'right side' of the blank...more pronounced at the bottom.

KC

pomelle1.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've been looking forward to making this pen for a while. It had a lot of pits to fill but I love the figuring in this piece of wood. It has the loopy circles on the front and back and the nice pomelle wavy grain on the sides (you can see the wavy grain on the cap in the second picture). Pretty amazing stuff.

Its nice to finally know the heartwood from the sapwood too. Thanks for that!

Todd

BigRob777

Todd,
Bubinga is funny stiff. Sorry for opening up an old post, but I just found it. I have some bubinga that is very light, but not what I would think of when I hear the word sapwood. Now that I see KC's two tone pen, I wonder. It seems like his has no red in the sap. I have a board, that I thought was bubinga, but it looks like it is the same as KC's sap, though not as figured. I'm going to have to do some research. My board is about the size of a 2" X 4". It seems pretty thick for sapwood.

Both pens are gorgeous by the way.
Rob

Thanks again for the nice comments everyone!

Rob, do you have a picture of your piece of wood? If you do post it and lets take a look at it. I'm interested also and I'm sure the other guys will be able to tell us what it is right away. I've been confused about Bubinga since I got my pieces although I think I have it figured out from the comments above.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom