Polyester and aluminium

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ericofpendom

ericofpendom

Here is a Sierra kit with one of my custom colour polyester resin pen blanks segmented with a computer HDD platter. Just the right thickness of aluminium I think. Thanks for looking, hope you like it. C&C's welcome.
Eric...

Attachments

• IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_2147.jpg
    IMG_2147.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice !! . Have you tried cutting "washers" out of the HDD platter using a hole saw ?

Last edited:

ericofpendom

Nice !! . Have you tried cutting "washers" out of the HDD platter using a hole saw ?

Thanks. No but I am going to do something to make it less wasteful. I need to create a jig to drill and cut them out as easily as possible. This is my first attempt so I will keep developing. Your holesaw suggestion is a good one.
Thanks for sharing.
Eric...

leehljp

Member Liaison
Well done! I love the spacing, very eye appealing! Love it!

I have done mostly brass in the past, but they are hard to make. I took a sheet of brass .5mm and placed between two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood, screwed the edges of the ply together and then drilled holes on a grid. After that, I unscrewed the plywood, took the brass sheet out and cut the brass. It warped the brass for sure, but I would then put the cut out pieces on an anvil and tap them with a hammer to flatten. Worked well. I haven't done segments in a while and your pen is certainly is nice, makes me want to make one, or two or three!

Last edited:

ericofpendom

Well done! I love the spacing, very eye appealing! Love it!

I have done mostly brass in the past, but they are hard to make. I took a sheet of brass .5mm and placed between two pieces of 1/2 inch plywood, screwed the edges of the ply together and then drilled holes on a grid. After that, I unscrewed the plywood, took the brass sheet out and cut the brass. It warped the brass for sure, but I would then put the cut out pieces on an anvil and tap them with a hammer to flatten. Worked well. I haven't done segments in a while and your pen is certainly is nice, makes me want to make one, or two or three!

Thanks for the kind comments Hank. I have thought about trapping the ally between wood, all in the development
Eric...

leehljp

Member Liaison
Eric,

How did you get the resin discs so nicely identical in thickness ?

I just set a stop on the bandsaw. The next one I do will have slightly thinner slices so the end ones are closer to the rest.
Eric...

One of the most intriguing pens to me was one created back in 2008 by SkipRat:

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3090/1_kpen4.jpg

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/3090/1_kpen5.jpg

No metal spacers but the spacing was amazing to me.

magpens

I should let him answer but if you are in a hurry here is what I think ....

I am quite sure that he has disassembled a hard disk drive (HDD) and used the metal platters, which are aluminum.

A CD is not made of aluminum but is a tough plastic material (which you could do the same thing with).

" with a computer HDD platter."

Forgive my ignorance, does that mean a CD?

Last edited:

ericofpendom

" with a computer HDD platter."

Forgive my ignorance, does that mean a CD?

Mag pen still is correct, I always recycle old hard drives from computers. They have a couple of very strong magnets inside and the older ones have multiple platters (aluminium discs) inside. The new HDDs tend to only have one platter due to the significant increase in data writing efficiency.
Hope this helps.
Eric...

Top Bottom