A Polaris in a less over-the-top blank than usual

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

527165_408458705880867_1074509224_n.jpg

305267_408458755880862_1120147874_n.jpg

And here it is. I was busy casting yesterday, I decided to try these colors out together and see what I got. I'm pretty happy with it. It's a lot less absurd than I usually try to go for. I have my first attempt at casting a mosaic blank in the workshop waiting for reverse paint to dry so I can add another coat or two. I hate the reverse painting process. It never goes right for me on the really clear blanks for some reason.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Looks pretty good. Are you using interference colors? I ask because all of you castings seem very pastely (is that a word) You should move into bolder colors.

Drstrangefart

Looks pretty good. Are you using interference colors? I ask because all of you castings seem very pastely (is that a word) You should move into bolder colors.

A lot of it has been interference colors. I've been modifying them somewhat. I have to hold off on more colors until I'm not broke. It'll happen eventually.

BSea

That is a really nice blank. More of a girls pen, but most PR pens seem to end up in purses anyway. At least that's been my experience.

Are you sanding the inside of your blank before painting? Some, like slimlines, are too small to sand, but the polaris should be big enough. The clearer the blank, the more important this becomes.

I have to hold off on more colors until I'm not broke. It'll happen eventually.
Yeah, I tell myself that too.:rolleyes:

Drstrangefart

That is a really nice blank. More of a girls pen, but most PR pens seem to end up in purses anyway. At least that's been my experience.

Are you sanding the inside of your blank before painting? Some, like slimlines, are too small to sand, but the polaris should be big enough. The clearer the blank, the more important this becomes.

I have to hold off on more colors until I'm not broke. It'll happen eventually.
Yeah, I tell myself that too.:rolleyes:

Yeah, on the last goobered-up reverse paintjob, I scrubbed the inside of the blank with a wire brush, spray painted it, lined it with black epoxy, painted the tube with black epoxy and STILL had brass showing through.

johnnycnc

I like the colors, the color swirl effects.
The interference colors rock!
good stuff here.

I never reverse painted my blanks, when I use to cast.
always doped enough colorant in the go to opaque.

Drstrangefart

good stuff here.

Most of my reverse painting has been coming from trying to suspend colors in clear resin for the 3-d effect. The clear is REALLY hard to reverse paint successfully.

Tom T

It's very nice, great color. Some day if I hang out on this sight long enough I will understand what every one is saying.
I like he pen. And you amde the color yourself. Very cool.

Drstrangefart

It's very nice, great color. Some day if I hang out on this sight long enough I will understand what every one is saying.
I like he pen. And you amde the color yourself. Very cool.

I can only take credit for modifying the colors of my mica powders. The lack of variety on hand means I have to get creative if I don't wanna cast the same thing over and over.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
good stuff here.

Most of my reverse painting has been coming from trying to suspend colors in clear resin for the 3-d effect. The clear is REALLY hard to reverse paint successfully.

have you tried an airbrush?

Drstrangefart

good stuff here.

have you tried an airbrush?

Not yet. Don't have one on hand. I can see the potential advantage, though.

Top Bottom